Sporting stalwart honoured with lifetime achievement award
- Credit: Archant
A Royston lady has been presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award by Herts Sports Partnership at their annual Service to Sport awards ceremony, held at the University of Hertfordshire.
Jan Wood MBE, involved in PE and sport for over four decades, has taken on a number of roles over the course of her career including PE teacher, hockey player, hockey regional selector, chairwoman of Bedford PE College Alumni Association, Buntingford town council management team, vice chair for Sport North Herts and, more recently, as North East Herts School Sport Partnership development manager.
Most recently, she has also embarked on the high-profile role of partnership development manager for the North East Herts School Sports Partnership.
Jan was awarded an MBE for Services to Education and Sport in 2013 and received a long service award from Hertfordshire County Council after 25 years teaching in the county.
Greneway assistant headteacher, Terry Graves, said: “Jan is special and always brings an intelligent passion to any role, leading by example inspiring others to reach their full potential and have fun doing it.
You may also want to watch:
“The respect shown for her in so many different sporting contexts epitomises the enduring contribution she has made, and continues to make, in the field of PE and sport, both school and club.
“Her commitment is phenomenal: Jan lives and loves PE and sport. She once said to me ‘I have the ideal role: working with people to make a difference through PE and sport.’
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
“If every district in the UK had a Jan then we would never have to worry about ‘sporting legacy’ for our young people.
“She is a unique phenomenon – a one-off. In a career in PE and Sport spanning nearly five decades, Jan is the personification of high quality physical education and school sport, and has been at the forefront as a true leader of great integrity.
“She lives the Olympic and Paralympic values and her enthusiasm, passion and love of PE and sport have inspired anyone fortunate enough to work with her.”