Sporting stalwart honoured with lifetime achievement award
- Credit: Archant
A Royston lady has been presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award by Herts Sports Partnership at their annual Service to Sport awards ceremony, held at the University of Hertfordshire.
Jan Wood MBE, involved in PE and sport for over four decades, has taken on a number of roles over the course of her career including PE teacher, hockey player, hockey regional selector, chairwoman of Bedford PE College Alumni Association, Buntingford town council management team, vice chair for Sport North Herts and, more recently, as North East Herts School Sport Partnership development manager.
Most recently, she has also embarked on the high-profile role of partnership development manager for the North East Herts School Sports Partnership.
Jan was awarded an MBE for Services to Education and Sport in 2013 and received a long service award from Hertfordshire County Council after 25 years teaching in the county.
Greneway assistant headteacher, Terry Graves, said: “Jan is special and always brings an intelligent passion to any role, leading by example inspiring others to reach their full potential and have fun doing it.
You may also want to watch:
“The respect shown for her in so many different sporting contexts epitomises the enduring contribution she has made, and continues to make, in the field of PE and sport, both school and club.
“Her commitment is phenomenal: Jan lives and loves PE and sport. She once said to me ‘I have the ideal role: working with people to make a difference through PE and sport.’
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
“If every district in the UK had a Jan then we would never have to worry about ‘sporting legacy’ for our young people.
“She is a unique phenomenon – a one-off. In a career in PE and Sport spanning nearly five decades, Jan is the personification of high quality physical education and school sport, and has been at the forefront as a true leader of great integrity.
“She lives the Olympic and Paralympic values and her enthusiasm, passion and love of PE and sport have inspired anyone fortunate enough to work with her.”