Southgate crushed as Royston’s run goes on

Royston 46 Southgate 0 ROYSTON continued their good start to the season with a solid victory over league rivals Southgate at The Heath, on Saturday. The hosts got off to a great start, with right wing Chris Ball scoring unconverted in the corner to giv

Royston 46

Southgate 0

ROYSTON continued their good start to the season with a solid victory over league rivals Southgate at The Heath, on Saturday.

The hosts got off to a great start, with right wing Chris Ball scoring unconverted in the corner to give the home side an early 5-0 lead.

Despite this early breakthrough, disaster struck Royston with scrum half Jack Sirrett forced off with a hand injury in the first 10 minutes, replaced by Richard Williams.

To make things even worse, skipper Jack Hillman was very harshly dismissed for an infringement at a ruck.

Most Read

Although they were a man down Royston were playing the classier rugby, and it soon paid off when left wing Chris Wallis scored under the posts, converted by Rob Turner to extend Royston's lead to 12-0.

The Crows found themselves down to 13 men just before half-time, as prop Jason Shackleton was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes for coming in at the side of a ruck.

Even though Southgate had a two man advantage, Royston's defence held firm, giving them a 12-0 advantage at the break.

Soon after the second half had started Royston were back up to 14 men and went straight on the attack.

A weaving run by centre Ronnie Barker opened up play for Dan Fox, who made yards up to the Southgate 22.

Southgate had an opportunity to clear their line from a scrum, but the seven forwards of Royston turned the scrum, regaining possession.

A pick and drive from the back of scrum by Leighton Ryan took play within yards of the Southgate line, great support play from the second phase allowed Jason Shackleton to score a converted try, extending Royston's lead to 19-0.

Royston stepped up the pressure on the visitors' line-out and substitute lock Will Phillips stole the ball, which was quickly spread down the line to Chris Ball who went in for his second try of the day, unconverted.

The home side were dominating the game and another lineout steal by Ryan found its way to Scott Easy, who burst down the blindside interchanging passes with Shackleton to breach the covering defence and put Easy through for the score, though it was again unconverted.

The hosts really had the game by the scruff of the neck, and a tap penalty deep in Southgate territory saw Easy power over the line to score converted near the posts.

With time running out Royston were able to score two further unconverted tries, through centre Fox and replacement scrum half Richard Williams.

Royston's return to league action on Saturday, travelling to Hackney.

Krakow II 14

Royston Vets 12

ROYSTON Vets' annual tour took them to Poland and their side, with over 700 years experience, narrowly went down to hosts Krakow.

The Krakow team were primarily their colts team and Royston knew that if the youngsters managed to get into space that they would be away to score. Royston's strength was the pack where the scrummages became a rout.

The game was lively and at half time both sides had opportunities to score. Steve Bristow often threatened to break away in the centre but last ditch tackling brought him down.

Krakow scored first with a breakaway try as their centre intercepted a missed pass which they duly converted but it was not long before Royston were on the scoresheet.

An enforced five metre scrummage on the Krakow line was Royston's ball all the way. Tim Boyce playing at loose head prop to allow Steve Westcott in at his preferred position at tight head having been out of the game for two years were the real powerhouses with the hard work coming in the second row pairing of Cottrell and Berge.

Steve Luckman controlled the ball at the back of the scrummage and Royston marched them back. Luckman scored and Colin Dacey took a fine conversion to bring it back to evens.

It was the speed of the Krakow which again bought them the points but Royston were not finished.

A chip kick and flip pass back inside for Neil Smith to beat the cover defence got Royston the five points deep in the corner.

The point difference was just the two points and Royston worked hard in the final minutes to grab a final try.

The backs were so close and Paul Dacey tried for a drop goal just to see the kick slide under the cross bar.

Royston: T Boyce, D Howell, S Westcott, J Cottrell, B Bergen, P Robinson, A Richardson, S Luckman, C Dacey, N Smith, S Rees, S Bristow, R Phillips, S Crook, P Dacey.

Hitchin III 16

Royston II 0

ROYSTON'S second team's unbeaten record came to an end last Saturday at Hitchin.

Despite starting strongly, Royston were unable to breakdown their hosts' defence and were made to pay.

Two unconverted tries and two penalties from Hitchin gave them a 16-0 victory. Royston's man of the match was tight head prop Steve Mills.

On Saturday Royston II visit Saffron Walden III for a league fixture.

n Following their cup win at Letchworth, Royston under 8's continued their winning streak at Cambridge on Sunday.

In a talent packed tournament including some of the best teams in Cambsridgeshre, 14 in total, Royston glided through the group stage beating Cambridge B 5-3, Saffron Walden 7-4 and Peterborough 6-5. A fine try fest from Sam Hurd helped Royston through to the semis.

A hard semi final against St. Ives saw Jake Letch score his first try of the season.

Solid defence from the likes of William Tyrell and Lyle Clarke proved too good for St. Ives, who didn't give up.

Charlie Pearson and Alasdair Welbourne formed the base of the harsh defence and secured Royston a 5-4 win.

Cambridge A also made the final and looked in good form; this game was to be a thriller.

Royston stepped up to the mark and although they made ground in attack, their defence allowed them to fall behind by two tries by half time.

The second half saw Royston's Cameron Denchfield claw an early try back, closely followed by an equaliser from Ashley Jones, through fantastic positional play.

Jamie Drage made good ground from a couple of driving runs, giving Royston the upper hand.

Cambridge then piled on the pressure but the Royston defence forced a number of errors and it was time for one last push from Royston.

Weaving his way along the pitch, Joseph Simons upset all Cambridge dreams of winning, by scoring with only seconds to go.