So close... but so far away
Great Chishill 2 Barrington 3 GREAT Chishill came agonisingly close to completing another upset – but lost to a side two divisions above. This Bambridge Cup defeat was their second semi-final defeat in just under two weeks. Chishill started off brightly
Great Chishill 2 Barrington 3
GREAT Chishill came agonisingly close to completing another upset - but lost to a side two divisions above.
This Bambridge Cup defeat was their second semi-final defeat in just under two weeks.
Chishill started off brightly and took the lead through a cool Jonathan Hodge finish after the goal-scoring midfielder latched onto a Gareth Edey through ball.
Things got even better when Luke Tyler hit an unstoppable free kick into the top corner of the net and put the underdogs 2-0 ahead before half-time.
However, in the second-half the home side were soon under pressure as Barrington tried to turn the game around.
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 10 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
And they did just that when a close-range effort from a Barrington striker found the back of the net and then moments later grabbed an equaliser.
With 15 minutes of the game left Barrington scored a third.
But Chishill didn't wallow for too long and soon laid siege to the Barrington goal in attempt to claw back an equaliser.
Russell Drury and Nick Bramwell were both denied a goal by some brilliant Barrington goalkeeping.
Great Chishill: Gallagher, R Drury, Rogers, Manning, Bramwell, Hodge, Tyler, E Drury, Edey, McGhee, J Drury, Radford, Wilson
- Chishill held their end-of-the-season dinner and awards at The Pheasant after the game.
Steve McGhee won the season's Golden Boot award, Shaun Wilson claimed the Clubman award, while the Manager's Player award went to Rick Rogers and the prestigious Players' Player went to Gareth Edey.