So close... but so far away
Great Chishill 2 Barrington 3 GREAT Chishill came agonisingly close to completing another upset – but lost to a side two divisions above. This Bambridge Cup defeat was their second semi-final defeat in just under two weeks. Chishill started off brightly
Great Chishill 2 Barrington 3
GREAT Chishill came agonisingly close to completing another upset - but lost to a side two divisions above.
This Bambridge Cup defeat was their second semi-final defeat in just under two weeks.
Chishill started off brightly and took the lead through a cool Jonathan Hodge finish after the goal-scoring midfielder latched onto a Gareth Edey through ball.
Things got even better when Luke Tyler hit an unstoppable free kick into the top corner of the net and put the underdogs 2-0 ahead before half-time.
However, in the second-half the home side were soon under pressure as Barrington tried to turn the game around.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
And they did just that when a close-range effort from a Barrington striker found the back of the net and then moments later grabbed an equaliser.
With 15 minutes of the game left Barrington scored a third.
But Chishill didn't wallow for too long and soon laid siege to the Barrington goal in attempt to claw back an equaliser.
Russell Drury and Nick Bramwell were both denied a goal by some brilliant Barrington goalkeeping.
Great Chishill: Gallagher, R Drury, Rogers, Manning, Bramwell, Hodge, Tyler, E Drury, Edey, McGhee, J Drury, Radford, Wilson
- Chishill held their end-of-the-season dinner and awards at The Pheasant after the game.
Steve McGhee won the season's Golden Boot award, Shaun Wilson claimed the Clubman award, while the Manager's Player award went to Rick Rogers and the prestigious Players' Player went to Gareth Edey.