So close... but so far away
Great Chishill 2 Barrington 3 GREAT Chishill came agonisingly close to completing another upset – but lost to a side two divisions above. This Bambridge Cup defeat was their second semi-final defeat in just under two weeks. Chishill started off brightly
Great Chishill 2 Barrington 3
GREAT Chishill came agonisingly close to completing another upset - but lost to a side two divisions above.
This Bambridge Cup defeat was their second semi-final defeat in just under two weeks.
Chishill started off brightly and took the lead through a cool Jonathan Hodge finish after the goal-scoring midfielder latched onto a Gareth Edey through ball.
You may also want to watch:
Things got even better when Luke Tyler hit an unstoppable free kick into the top corner of the net and put the underdogs 2-0 ahead before half-time.
However, in the second-half the home side were soon under pressure as Barrington tried to turn the game around.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
And they did just that when a close-range effort from a Barrington striker found the back of the net and then moments later grabbed an equaliser.
With 15 minutes of the game left Barrington scored a third.
But Chishill didn't wallow for too long and soon laid siege to the Barrington goal in attempt to claw back an equaliser.
Russell Drury and Nick Bramwell were both denied a goal by some brilliant Barrington goalkeeping.
Great Chishill: Gallagher, R Drury, Rogers, Manning, Bramwell, Hodge, Tyler, E Drury, Edey, McGhee, J Drury, Radford, Wilson
- Chishill held their end-of-the-season dinner and awards at The Pheasant after the game.
Steve McGhee won the season's Golden Boot award, Shaun Wilson claimed the Clubman award, while the Manager's Player award went to Rick Rogers and the prestigious Players' Player went to Gareth Edey.