Snooker legends Hendry and White set for World Championship rematch in Radlett
- Credit: Archant
On April 29, 1990, a 21-year-old Stephen Hendry defeated Jimmy White, 18-12, to become the youngest ever winner to raise the Snooker World Championship.
Now, some 25 years on, the game’s greatest ever player and the Whirlwind will meet again to commemorate that occasion with a very special Snooker Legends show at The Radlett Centre on March 11.
The evening will include a rematch of the 1990 World Championship final with the inimitable John Virgo compering the proceedings. Once the result is in, Hendry, White and Virgo will answer questions and share anecdotes about what really happened behind the scenes and how the young man from Scotland realised a dream that had been years in the planning.
Speaking to the sports reporter Mike Edwards, Hendry said: “I don’t remember too much of the actual play [from the 1990 final]. I remember clinching the title and becoming the youngest ever champion at 21. When you start playing, the ambition is to be world champion so it’s very special.”
Hendry went on to win six more World Championships in his career. The first, though, remains his most memorable.
So what can people expect from the evening, which will also feature a raffle prize to partner them in a game of doubles?
“It’s not a serious competition but they’ll still get to see some quality snooker. Jimmy White and I both pride ourselves on our performances,” he said. “And they can ask us what they want; some times, the weirder the question the better.”
- 1 Could you give these pets a home?
- 2 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 3 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 4 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 5 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 6 Entrepreneur shortlisted for award after setting up business while managing chronic illness
- 7 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 10 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
VIP packages are available which guarantees the holder a prime seat and also entrance to a Champagne reception before the event and the chance to meet the players.
To book tickets call the theatre box office on 01923 857546 or book online at www.radlettcentre.co.uk