Sisters crowned County Champions
EDWINSTREE School swimmers Carly and Christie Bays were crowned county champions at the annual Hertfordshire Swimming Association presentation evening – the first time that two sisters have each won their age group at the Championships. Awards were presen
EDWINSTREE School swimmers Carly and Christie Bays were crowned county champions at the annual Hertfordshire Swimming Association presentation evening - the first time that two sisters have each won their age group at the Championships.
Awards were presented to the top swimmers in each age group based upon their performance in the county swimming championships held over three gruelling weekends in March and the 2010 results mean Edwinstree School has produced seven age group champions in the last five years.
Swimming for Stevenage Swimming Club, 10-year-old Carly beat off all opposition to win nine medals including five golds in the 100m individual medley, 50m and 200m breaststroke events, 200m backstroke and 50m freestyle.
Sister Christie, a member of the east region England Talent Squad, completed her fifth consecutive age group Championship by winning the 13 year title with an impressive haul of 17 medals, setting two new county records.
She picked up 12 medals in her age group over the five days of competition, including eight golds, and added another five medals in the overall Championships including three victories in the under-16 and open age groups.
Completing the family success was 15-year-old sister Carina, a Freeman College swimmer, who also picked up a silver medal in the 200m breaststroke and a bronze in the 100m breaststroke.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Carina and Christie have already helped the East Herts Schools' team to victory at the 2010 County Secondary Schools' Championships in March and Carly's individual wins helped the East Herts teams to complete a clean sweep when they successfully defended their County Primary Schools' title in April.
The top performances by 10-year-old Carly means she will now join her sister at her first East Region Championships in June where she has qualified to swim in five events. Christie has already qualified for the individual National Championships in July.