Sisters are in the swim
TWO sisters from Edwinstree School in Buntingford have been selected to represent Hertfordshire in the inter-counties schools swimming gala. Following a number of impressive swims, particularly in the Hertfordshire schools galas, Carina and Christie B
TWO sisters from Edwinstree School in Buntingford have been selected to represent Hertfordshire in the inter-counties schools swimming gala.
Following a number of impressive swims, particularly in the Hertfordshire schools galas, Carina and Christie Bays have been leading the way and have set their targets on more honours.
Thirteen-year-old Carina, who swam for the county in the National Team Championships in October, easily won the Year 7 and 8 100m breaststroke for the second successive year, and helped the East Herts secondary schools team to a close second-place finish.
The following week Christie captained the East Herts team to victory in the Hertfordshire primary schools championships, where East Herts also took the overall county championship.
You may also want to watch:
Christie won the Year 6 50m breaststroke and led the team to victory in the girls medley relay, in which her time of 37.62 seconds not only broke the existing county record by four seconds, but was a quarter of a second faster than the best recorded time for an 11-year-old in the UK this year.
Christie said: "It is a really good feeling knowing that I am the fastest swimmer for my age in that event - it's definitely worth the hard work."
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
Carina added: "We've both been doing really well at the moment and we're hoping to get the qualifying times for both the regional and national finals.
"It's a great honour to swim for the county and hopefully we can continue to do well.