Silverware at last for Royston Rugby Club

Royston Rugby Club win Herts Presidents Trophy

Royston Rugby Club win Herts Presidents Trophy - Credit: Archant

ROYSTON Rugby Club’s 1st XV ended their 50 year trophy drought with a 34-10 Herts President’s Trophy final win over Borehamwood on Sunday.

After an excellent run in Herts/Middlesex 2, which saw the Crows promoted into Herts/Middlesex 1, the final was the perfect way to finish off their season.

Club chairman Colin Letch had set the young side two targets at the start of the season, promotion and silverware, and both were delivered.

Playing against a lively Borehamwood side, who have had an above average season, was never going to be easy.

This was apparent in the first 15 minutes. Royston, playing into a wind, could not get into the game, and giving away needless penalties was certainly not the best tactic.

Especially as the Borehamwood fullback had packed his kicking boots for the finale.

Every penalty was slotted into the corner and after sustained pressure their No. 8 crashed through the centres and scored the first try.

Most Read

Again a penalty was conceded and a pass was flung down the backline to let Borehamwood touch down in the corner to make it 10-0.

This was the wake-up call Royston needed. The Dummett brothers came into their own and charged their way up the pitch.

After a clever offload to Brooke Royston secured an attacking lineout 10 metres out.

From this line Royston set a rolling maul which allowed player/manager Nick Alford to surge forward and get some points on the board.

Again in typical Royston fashion straight from the kick off a huge double hit from Elbourne and Billy Richardson saw the ball slid out to Tristan Tegg, who then freed up the ever dangerous Ritsema twins, allowing younger twin Dan to level before half-time.

After the break Royston came out firing on all cylinders.

Some great rucking and mauling from the rejuvenated pack saw Fouracres, at the back of a rolling maul, break off and force his way over to give Royston the lead. Michael Schurch converted to make it 17-10.

Will Cottrell was next on the scoresheet, after a steal from Wittingham he ran in an excellent effort from 25 yards out for 22-10.

Fox and Jamie Green came on to help Royston keep their composure in the remainder and Green was instrumental in Royston’s fifth try.

Another lineout throw from Tommy Dummett saw Green collect and Lee Gilbert was able to score.

The game was almost secure, however a moment of madness saw skipper Scott Easy sent to the sinbin after a dubious tackle.

This did not stop the Crows and a sixth try again for Fouracres, that was converted, left Royston 34-10 up at the final whistle to secure the Herts Presidents Trophy.

Royston head coach Rob Turner said: “This has been a remarkable first season for me in charge of this great bunch of young lads.”