Silverstone boost for Wilkinson
MELBOURN-BASED racing driver Adam Wilkinson produced a determined drive to secure a podium finish and two further awards at the MG Car Club meeting at Silverstone on Sunday. After a solid qualifying session, Wilkinson, in his Westfield 11, started the All
MELBOURN-BASED racing driver Adam Wilkinson produced a determined drive to secure a podium finish and two further awards at the MG Car Club meeting at Silverstone on Sunday.
After a solid qualifying session, Wilkinson, in his Westfield 11, started the Allcomers 45 minute Endurance Race fourth on the grid.
A sluggish start to the race saw him drop a place to fifth on the first lap.
But Wilkinson fought back to reclaim fourth position, before closing down third-placed rival Pat Fenn.
You may also want to watch:
And a smartly-taken early pit stop allowed Wilkinson out in front of both Fenn and the second-placed Griffiths.
But Wilkinson could not hold on to second place and, after a battle with Fenn all the way to the chequered flag, he eventually finished third, just 0.287 seconds behind Fenn's more powerful BMW M3E36.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
As well as his trophy for third place, Wilkinson's drive earned him the second place cup for the handicap element of the race and the prestigious Commentators Driver of the Race award.