Shaky start proves costly for Royston

Royston Town Colts A U-11 1 Broadhall Youth 2 A SLUGGISH start from Colts allowed the visitors the luxury of a two-goal lead before they finally began to compete in this hard-fought bottom of the table battle. Broadhall took the lead early on with a defle

Royston Town Colts A U-11 1 Broadhall Youth 2

A SLUGGISH start from Colts allowed the visitors the luxury of a two-goal lead before they finally began to compete in this hard-fought bottom of the table battle.

Broadhall took the lead early on with a deflected shot which gave keeper Neil Smith no chance.

Midway through the half, the visitors doubled their lead with a cross-shot which beat Smith at his near post.

Lewis Hunter then began the Colts fight-back, with his industry and sense of urgency, and adding some much-needed steel and creativity to the midfield.

Almost immediately, Jack Bailey pulled one back, using his speed to burst through on the right hand side and strike the ball sweetly past the lunging keeper.

Most Read

Suddenly, Colts were a different team, fighting for every loose ball and asking questions of the visitors.

Jake Benstead almost equalised from a Lewis Harley corner, his effort flying just over the bar.

The second period saw the introduction of Harry Stafford and Max McLean as Colts continued where they had left off.

However, the visitors were just as resolute in defence and it took a foul in the box on the hard-working Victor Faletta to produce Colts' first real chance of the half - a penalty - which they were unable to convert.

As Colts pressed for the equaliser, spaces inevitably appeared at the back, and a terrific Broadhall shot struck the woodwork.

Colts battled to the end, Benstead unlucky not to level the scores with a first-time effort in the dying seconds

Colts: N Smith, M Cooney, A Chapman, J Hall, M Kilroy, J Bailey, Benstead, L Harley, S Hunter, V Faletta, L Sekobawane. Subs: L Hunter, H Stafford, M McLean, L Webb.

- A failure to take their first half chances cost Royston Town Colts under-15s two points as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Potton Colts.

Two minutes into the second half, Stuart Jackson's free kick from just inside the Potton half, was cleared to Steven Crosse, whose through ball into the penalty area, found Karl Smith. Smith rounded the keeper and slotted home from an acute angle.

Potton piled on the pressure, but the solid visitors defence held firm until the 66th minute. Royston failed to deal with a corner floated into the six-yard box, and the ball ended up in the visitor's goal. Both sides could have clinched the winner, but the score remained 1-1.

Bassingbourn Youth U-9 A 0 Royston Colts 4

FOUR second half goals sealed Saturday's victory for Colts.

A scrappy first-half performance saw the teams go in level at half-times, and although most of the action was spent in the hosts' half, Colts struggled to string two passes together consistently.

A strong half time team talk saw things improve in the second half with Jake Long and Jordan Campbell both scoring a brace.

Long opened the scoring after a poor goal kick from the Bassingbourn keeper fell at his feet and a well-taken shot went in off the post.

It was Long again who set up Colts' second goal when he worked the ball well in midfield into the box, and squared it for Campbell to score easily.

Long's second was almost identical to his first with a poor goal kick allowing Long to run the ball back into the box and score unchallenged with a shot that slipped under the keeper's body. Campbell scored his second with a speculative long range effort which again forced its way under the keeper at the near post.

Bassingbourn Youth U-9 B 0 Royston Colts B 4

COLTS B team put in a strong performance to emulate their first team with a 4-0 win.

Bradley Sell opened the scoring when his inswinging corner flew into the top the net.

Sell's second came with a sharp turn and shot on the edge of the box which made its way through a number of defenders to beat the keeper.

The third for Sell came after some good work by Daniel Goodfellow in midfield, he made space for himself to look up and pass through to Sell who controlled the ball on the left of the box and score from a tight angle.

George Wheeler-Bailey wrapped proceedings up with a neat half volley on the edge of the box with so much spin on the ball that the keeper could only parry the ball into his own net.

- Hormead Hares under-nines had contrasting results against Bedwell Rangers.

The A team won 3-0 with goals from Jonathan Lacey and two from Edward Worby, including a superb free kick. Joint players of the match went to Lucas Pratt and Danny Elford for their tireless running and tight marking on the opposition forwards.

The B team found the keeper in fine form as he made two outstanding saves, the first from man-of-the-match Rhodri Hughes, and the other from James Scripps, and Rangers netted twice to take the win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter