SG8 secure Futsal league crown
- Credit: Archant
SG8 have been crowned champions of the FA Futsal Fives Royston league.
The team won all 12 of their matches in the competition to finish 11 points clear of runners-up Barkway and Barley.
Sunday was the final day of the season, and saw Kenny Blair, manager of SG8, presented with the trophy by league coordinator Jorden Gibson and Steve Jackson, chairman of Royston Town FC.
Futsal is the 5v5 football format that encourages player development with the use of different equipment and rules.
Popular worldwide, the fast paced nature of Futsal and the heavier weight of the ball means players are more involved in the game and have more touches improving their technique and decision making.
You may also want to watch:
“The boys have really enjoyed Futsal, the standard in the league is decent and there are some good teams in there,” said Blair.
“Most of the SG8 team know each other because we play for the Royston Town FC A Team on Saturdays, and when the opportunity came up to try Futsal we thought we’d give it a go.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 8 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
“A lot of the boys have said it’s really helped their 11-a-side game, and I know a few of them would like to take their Futsal on and play the game at a higher level.”
Barkway and Barley also received an award for finishing second, while Jorden Hall of Royston Rovers picked up the prize for top goalscorer.
The Royston FA Futsal Fives league is played at Royston Leisure Centre on Sunday evenings.
If you’re interested in taking part in the next season, call or text 07944 460065, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.