Set-back for Morden
Bassingbourn 3 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE Morden suffered a set-back with a surprise defeat at lowly local rivals Bassingbourn. It had all started well when Steeple took the lead in the first minute. Nick Carlton won a header which was flicked on by Ben H
Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE Morden suffered a set-back with a surprise defeat at lowly local rivals Bassingbourn.
It had all started well when Steeple took the lead in the first minute. Nick Carlton won a header which was flicked on by Ben Holt to new strike partner Roy Dunsford who comfortably beat the keeper with a superb dipping half volley from 20 yards.
You may also want to watch:
The lead was almost doubled when Charlie Prothero fashioned a shooting opportunity after good work from Jamie Murphy but saw his shot drift agonisingly wide.
The home side responded and their physical and direct style started to make things difficult for Steeple. On the half-hour mark, the game was changed by two quick goals for the home side. Both came from deadball situations and were the result of some sloppy defending and telling deflections.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
The referee was finding it challenging to keep control of an increasingly robust battle in the second half. As Steeple became further frustrated they also became more direct which did not suit them.
With time running out, manager Kenny Watters made changes and pushed more men forward but after weathering the pressure Bassingbourn broke away to score a decisive third.
In the final minutes, Ben Holt knocked in a consolation goal after the keeper failed to hold a powerful Prothero free-kick.