Set-back for Morden
Bassingbourn 3 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE Morden suffered a set-back with a surprise defeat at lowly local rivals Bassingbourn. It had all started well when Steeple took the lead in the first minute. Nick Carlton won a header which was flicked on by Ben H
Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE Morden suffered a set-back with a surprise defeat at lowly local rivals Bassingbourn.
It had all started well when Steeple took the lead in the first minute. Nick Carlton won a header which was flicked on by Ben Holt to new strike partner Roy Dunsford who comfortably beat the keeper with a superb dipping half volley from 20 yards.
The lead was almost doubled when Charlie Prothero fashioned a shooting opportunity after good work from Jamie Murphy but saw his shot drift agonisingly wide.
The home side responded and their physical and direct style started to make things difficult for Steeple. On the half-hour mark, the game was changed by two quick goals for the home side. Both came from deadball situations and were the result of some sloppy defending and telling deflections.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 5 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 6 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 7 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 10 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
The referee was finding it challenging to keep control of an increasingly robust battle in the second half. As Steeple became further frustrated they also became more direct which did not suit them.
With time running out, manager Kenny Watters made changes and pushed more men forward but after weathering the pressure Bassingbourn broke away to score a decisive third.
In the final minutes, Ben Holt knocked in a consolation goal after the keeper failed to hold a powerful Prothero free-kick.