Set-back for Morden
Bassingbourn 3 Steeple Morden 2 STEEPLE Morden suffered a set-back with a surprise defeat at lowly local rivals Bassingbourn. It had all started well when Steeple took the lead in the first minute. Nick Carlton won a header which was flicked on by Ben H
Steeple Morden 2
STEEPLE Morden suffered a set-back with a surprise defeat at lowly local rivals Bassingbourn.
It had all started well when Steeple took the lead in the first minute. Nick Carlton won a header which was flicked on by Ben Holt to new strike partner Roy Dunsford who comfortably beat the keeper with a superb dipping half volley from 20 yards.
You may also want to watch:
The lead was almost doubled when Charlie Prothero fashioned a shooting opportunity after good work from Jamie Murphy but saw his shot drift agonisingly wide.
The home side responded and their physical and direct style started to make things difficult for Steeple. On the half-hour mark, the game was changed by two quick goals for the home side. Both came from deadball situations and were the result of some sloppy defending and telling deflections.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 9 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 10 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
The referee was finding it challenging to keep control of an increasingly robust battle in the second half. As Steeple became further frustrated they also became more direct which did not suit them.
With time running out, manager Kenny Watters made changes and pushed more men forward but after weathering the pressure Bassingbourn broke away to score a decisive third.
In the final minutes, Ben Holt knocked in a consolation goal after the keeper failed to hold a powerful Prothero free-kick.