Second-half double sees off strugglers
Royston III 2 Winchmore Hill & Enfield 0 Royston continued their push for promotion by beating a much improved Enfield team fighting for survival to stay in the league. Gary Pinner in the Royston goal was called on to pull off some excellent saves in the
Royston III 2 Winchmore Hill & Enfield 0
Royston continued their push for promotion by beating a much improved Enfield team fighting for survival to stay in the league.
Gary Pinner in the Royston goal was called on to pull off some excellent saves in the first half to keep a clean sheet, with the back three of Matt Brunt, Pete Belcher and Dan Taylor pushing up field to squeeze the visitors into their own half.
But this proved dangerous, as they broke quickly when Royston lost possession.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Royston continued to push forward, and the visitors became more desperate and began to push out of defence, giving openings down both flanks.
It was beginning to look like a draw, when Smith picked up a clearance, drove round the defence, and slapped the ball to Bateman, whose shot was parried by the goalkeeper.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
The ensuing scramble eventually saw a push from Paul Visagie beat the keeper for the opening goal.
The second came from a classic set-piece. With the defence breaking out from a penalty corner, Bloomfield slipped the ball right and this time Bateman scored.
With two games to go, against Vauxhalls and Welwyn, both at home, Royston will be looking for two wins and the potential for promotion back to Division 6SW.