Second-half double sees off strugglers
Royston III 2 Winchmore Hill & Enfield 0 Royston continued their push for promotion by beating a much improved Enfield team fighting for survival to stay in the league. Gary Pinner in the Royston goal was called on to pull off some excellent saves in the
Royston III 2 Winchmore Hill & Enfield 0
Royston continued their push for promotion by beating a much improved Enfield team fighting for survival to stay in the league.
Gary Pinner in the Royston goal was called on to pull off some excellent saves in the first half to keep a clean sheet, with the back three of Matt Brunt, Pete Belcher and Dan Taylor pushing up field to squeeze the visitors into their own half.
But this proved dangerous, as they broke quickly when Royston lost possession.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Royston continued to push forward, and the visitors became more desperate and began to push out of defence, giving openings down both flanks.
It was beginning to look like a draw, when Smith picked up a clearance, drove round the defence, and slapped the ball to Bateman, whose shot was parried by the goalkeeper.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 9 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 10 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
The ensuing scramble eventually saw a push from Paul Visagie beat the keeper for the opening goal.
The second came from a classic set-piece. With the defence breaking out from a penalty corner, Bloomfield slipped the ball right and this time Bateman scored.
With two games to go, against Vauxhalls and Welwyn, both at home, Royston will be looking for two wins and the potential for promotion back to Division 6SW.