Second-half double sees off strugglers
Royston III 2 Winchmore Hill & Enfield 0 Royston continued their push for promotion by beating a much improved Enfield team fighting for survival to stay in the league. Gary Pinner in the Royston goal was called on to pull off some excellent saves in the
Royston III 2 Winchmore Hill & Enfield 0
Royston continued their push for promotion by beating a much improved Enfield team fighting for survival to stay in the league.
Gary Pinner in the Royston goal was called on to pull off some excellent saves in the first half to keep a clean sheet, with the back three of Matt Brunt, Pete Belcher and Dan Taylor pushing up field to squeeze the visitors into their own half.
But this proved dangerous, as they broke quickly when Royston lost possession.
After the break, Royston continued to push forward, and the visitors became more desperate and began to push out of defence, giving openings down both flanks.
It was beginning to look like a draw, when Smith picked up a clearance, drove round the defence, and slapped the ball to Bateman, whose shot was parried by the goalkeeper.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 4 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 7 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 8 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
The ensuing scramble eventually saw a push from Paul Visagie beat the keeper for the opening goal.
The second came from a classic set-piece. With the defence breaking out from a penalty corner, Bloomfield slipped the ball right and this time Bateman scored.
With two games to go, against Vauxhalls and Welwyn, both at home, Royston will be looking for two wins and the potential for promotion back to Division 6SW.