Second cup blow for battling Steeple
Bassingbourn 4 Steeple Morden 0 STEEPLE Morden were knocked out of a cup at high-flying Bassingbourn for the second time this season. This time the two BIS Division 3A sides met in the second round of the John Ablett Cup but again it was the hosts who p
Steeple Morden 0
STEEPLE Morden were knocked out of a cup at high-flying Bassingbourn for the second time this season.
This time the two BIS Division 3A sides met in the second round of the John Ablett Cup but again it was the hosts who proved the strongest.
You may also want to watch:
However, in a tight first half Steeple created the better of the chances as their bright attacking football set up Ben Holt, Martyn Lees and Jim Edey.
At the other end Darren Bown and Martin Donald kept things tight, although Bassingbourn did miss a penalty.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Then on 35 minutes the home side were reduced to 10 men, and instead of taking advantage Steeple fell behind when the hosts turned in a corner.
In the second half Bassingbourn started to take a command of the play and on the hour mark Steeple keeper Tim Tidey saw one powerful effort fly over his head as the hosts increased their lead.
Dom Holt made a welcome return from injury for the visitors when he replaced Karl Parr, making an immediate impact with a rasping volley following Charlie Prothero's clever corner.
Ben Holt then created a fine chance for Lees but the striker's effort was well saved by the Bassingbourn keeper. The tie was all but wrapped when Tidey failed to reach one low strike into the bottom of the net before he was beaten for a fourth time following a spectacular counter attack.
Steeple Morden: Tidey; Bown, Smith, Donald, Edey; Murphy, Prothero, M Holt, Parr; Lees, B Holt. (Subs): Carlton, Watters, D Holt.