Sec sick after Banyers' dozen

Smart Sec 1 Banyers 12 BARRY Wood blasted four goals and Lee Wilkinson hit a hat-trick as Banyers went goal crazy on Sunday. It took 20 minutes for the visitors to make the breakthough against 10-man Smart Sec. The hosts were awarded a free-kick for off

Smart Sec 1 Banyers 12 BARRY Wood blasted four goals and Lee Wilkinson hit a hat-trick as Banyers went goal crazy on Sunday. It took 20 minutes for the visitors to make the breakthough against 10-man Smart Sec. The hosts were awarded a free-kick for offside. It was taken quickly but passed to the Banyers striker Wood, who quickly slotted a ball through the defence. Stephen Paul ran onto the ball and slotted under the keeper. Wood made it 2-0 when he ran on to Mark Halfacre's through-ball, before chipping a ball over the keeper into the top corner. An injury to a Smart Sec player reduced them to nine men in the second half, and Banyers made this advantage count. Jeremy Clements and Neil Smith were finding a lot of joy down the right wing, and it was Clements who put Banyers 3-0 up with a fine strike across the keeper into the left corner. The lead was increased when Adam Smith's corner was met in the box by a Smart Sec defender, only to be headed back into his own net. Banyers then won a penalty, Clements being fouled on route to goal. Wilkinson stepped up to take it, placing his shot in the bottom left-hand corner, only to see a fine save from the keeper. The keeper was saving everything thrown at him, and when he was beaten there would be a defender on the line to clear the ball. Wilkinson finally did break through, twisting onto Clements pass before smashing it into the corner to make it 5-0. Wilkinson and Clements notched another goal each, making the score 7-0, before captain Halfacre stormed up from centre back to finish a well-worked move, placing the ball across the keeper, notching him a place on the scoresheet. Wood found his way back to scoring form, rounding the keeper and kicking into an empty net to make it nine before Wilkinson completed his treble. The hosts notched a consolation with a header from a free-kick, before Wood doubled his tally with two goals in the final minute. Banyers: A Pigg, N Smith, M Halfacre, A Smith, G Radford (M Hall), Steve Cawdell (J Clements), S Easy (S Ramshaw), S Paul, C Holt, L Wilkinson, B Wood. Ashdon 1 Bassingbourn 4 BASSINGBOURN continued their fine form with a comfortable victory at Ashdon. The game was less than 10 minutes old when Bass took the lead through good attacking play from the midfield duo of Alan Reid and Tom Collins found Craig Hunter, who opened the scoring from just inside the penalty box. This inspired Bass to push forward and pressure the Ashford defence, and it was no surprise when Jeremy Glasscock doubled the lead just before half-time. The second half followed the same pattern and Bass, playing the better football, scored a third goal resulting from good play between Pete Mumsford and John Thorpe, whose cross into the box was turned into the net by Rob Holding at the second attempt. Ashdon tried hard to get into the game with some good football of their own, but were kept at bay by a competent Basss back four. The fourth goal was started by the industrious Tom Collins, who worked well with Reid and Mumsford to find Thorpe on the left, who sent a screamer into the top corner of the net. An embarrassing mix up in the Bass defence allowed Ashdon a consolation own goal to spoil an otherwise comprehensive win for Bassingbourn. Royston Town Vets 3 Knebworth Vets 2 TOWN ran out 3-2 winners over old rivals Knebworth in Sunday's home game played at Litlington. Kevin Barthrop, Simon Lewis and Mike Jackson were unavailable but Mark Saggers returned to Town's midfield and there were starts for Ian King and Ian Stubbs. As the visitors arrived a man short, Colin McArthur agreed to switch sides and play for the opposition. It was Knebworth who had the best of the opening exchanges and they deservedly took the lead when McArthur took advantage of poor marking in the Town defence to slot the ball past keeper Merv Chaffey. The pace of Nick Humphries created problems for the visitors defence down the left and when one of his raids resulted in a corner Town equalised through central defender Kevin Flack - his first goal for the club. Knebworth took the lead again almost immediately when Ian Allen tried to clear a long ball down the middle but inadvertently diverted the ball past his advancing goalkeeper. Town equalised again when central striker Paul Lewis evaded a strong defensive challenge to slot the ball home. Royston then took the lead for the first time as concerted pressure on the visitors defence resulted in another corner and Daryl Quinn forced the ball over the line from close range. Neither side were able to create much constructive football in a largely scrappy second half and Town were happy to hold on for the narrow win. Royston Town Vets: M Chaffey, I King, B Cannon, K Flack, I Allen, D Quinn, R Harris, M Saggers, I Stubbs, P Lewis, N Humphries - Town play Bluntisham at home on Sunday, 10.30am. Linton Granta Res 2 Melbourn 2 MELBOURN picked up their third league point of the campaign as they held Linton to a draw for the second time this season. Linton took the lead early in the first half, Melbourn failed to clear a corner, Andy Edwards twice blocked on the line before the ball was finally forced home. Melbourn equalised soon after. A ball from the right was flicked on by Stephen Edwards and Russell Cooper was on hand to fire in from ten yards. Soon after Simon Carse had a great chance to give the visitors the lead but he stabbed his close-range effort wide. Just before the break the hosts were awarded a free-kick, in a central position, 20 yards from the goal, which they converted with a shot over the wall and just under the bar. Throughout the second half, Melbourn pushed for the all-important equaliser and certainly had the lion's share of the play, Stephen Edwards, Jason Gray, James Heslam and Cooper all coming close. The pressure paid off on the hour mark, another deep delivery from the right, another Edwards flick on and substitute Fergus Lury smashed in a terrific shot from a tight angle, in off the far post. In the dying moments Melbourn conceded a cheap corner and were fortunate the referee spotted an infringement as Linton looked certain to score. Melbourn: C Paxton, A Edwards, S Hinchliffe, A Oram, T Walker (M Harper), J Heslam, M Wagstaff, J Gray, S Carse, (S Marriott), S Edwards, R Cooper (F Lury)