Schools team up for athletics glory
THE Bishop s Stortford and District Annual Athletics Competition held at Wodson Park proved to be a success for Freman College and Edwinstree students this year. Many outstanding individual performances contributed to the best results ever achieved by t
THE Bishop's Stortford and District Annual Athletics Competition held at Wodson Park proved to be a success for Freman College and Edwinstree students this year.
Many outstanding individual performances contributed to the best results ever achieved by the combined Freman/Edwinstree team.
The under-13 girls finished as champions of their competition with convincing performances from Rhian Bevan in the discus, Georgia Homer in the javelin, Jade Denham in the 1500m all winning their events.
There were second place finishes for Vicky Rutherford in the long jump and Harriet Jones in the shot putt.
You may also want to watch:
The under-14 girls were placed second in their age group with first positions in 100m, 200m, 1500m from Hannah Sweetman, Chloe Gardner, Karen Meadows respectively, while the relay team of Florence Bird, Hannah Sweetman, Chloe Gardner and Karen Meadows.
The under-15 girls added to this success with first places for Katie Grehan in the 100m and Stephanie Sattin in the 200m.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Grehan also won the long jump with a new district record of 5.11m. Both girls also contributed to the winning relay team at this age group.
The under-17 girls won their competition, narrowly beating Saffron Walden County High School by one point.
In this age group Frankie Witney finished second in the 300m and Christina Branch first in the 1500m.
With the combined efforts of all of the age groups, the girls went onto to take the overall girls' trophy.
The boy's teams were also successful in the under-15 competition with Lloyd Russ first in the shot putt, Bradley Hill, third in the 100m and Jacob Goodship second in the discus.
In the under-17 boys Josh Saydraouten came third in the 200m, Rob Hilbourn was placed third in the high jump and Toby Hone jumped 5.20m in the long jump, giving him third position.
In the under-13 competition, Dustin Hone finished second in the long jump, with Ben Matus emulating him in the shot putt.
The boys and girls combined from Edwinstree and Freman College were placed second in the overall boys and girls' competition - a real team effort from both schools.
- Greneway school once again hosted this annual Year 5 and 6 athletics meeting between Roysia, St Marys and Greneway.
In wet conditions the young athletics talent from all the schools showed their class with some superb performances for the large and appreciative audience.
The meet involved long jump, high jump and cricket ball and rounders ball throwing, as well as track events from 75m - 600m and relays
In spite of the rain, Amy Cooper (Greneway) broke the Year 5 track record for 75m for the third time this season.
She then anchored the Year 5 Girls 4 x 100m to a new record, knocking almost two seconds off the previous record. This was one of many impressive performances on the night, others included the 150m run of Becky Rasch (Roysia) and Sarah Rist (St Marys) in the Year 6 300m.
Once again the children were a credit to their respective schools and the event emphasised the rich vein of athletics talent there is in Royston.