Saunders maintains lead in Royston Golf Club’s Seniors Friday Winter League
- Credit: Archant
With four weeks left of Royston Golf Club’s Seniors Friday Winter League, another win for Alan Saunders increased his overall total to 222 points.
Keith Taylor and Andy Forbes were joint runners-up with 35 points each but Taylor claimed second place on countback over the last three holes.
Ken Ayre’s 33 points on the day moved him into second overall but he is still five points behind Saunders.
In the Thursday Roll Up competition, the winners were Mick Joyner prevailed with a score of 43 points.
The ladies’ February Medal was won by Helen Steverson with Sandra Williams second.
The ladies’ Alternate Stableford saw Steph Denton take first place with Yvonne Rogers second on countback from Sandra Williams in third.
Special congratulations go to Denton as she was unveiled as the club’s most improved lady golfer for 2015 and has again had her handicap cut from 29 to 28.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
On Sunday, the club held a three-person team competition where the best two scores counted on each hole and the players alternated in using a yellow ball which allowed the player to double their individual score on that hole.
The high winds didn’t make golf easy but Keith Jest, Mike Phizacklea and Gary Noble managed to keep it together to deliver a score of 94 points.
Second place was taken by club captain Ray Sammon’s team which included Eddie Moule and John Collins (93).