Sailor Saxton begins quest for Olympic Games medal
ASHWELL’S Ben Saxton has made a strong start to his four-year campaign to win gold at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
The 22-year-old has been competing at international sailing events for more than 10 years. He is now sailing the new Nacra 17 catamaran with his sailing partner Hannah Diamond, aged 23.
The pair are charging up the world rankings, despite only sailing together for a few months and are now ranked seventh in the world by ISAF, the International Sailing Federation.
Saxton and Diamond began 2013 with a training camp in southern Spain, before travelling to Palma, Mallorca for their first Sailing World Cup event at Easter, where they finished 13th overall in an international fleet.
Last week they competed in their second World Cup event at Hyeres, in France, finishing fourth overall and missing out on a medal by only two points after 16 races against competitors from 14 countries.
You may also want to watch:
Saxton said: “We’re delighted with the progress we’re making, but it was disappointing to finish fourth, so close to the medals.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge