Sailor Ben Saxton to represent Great Britain at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Credit: Archant
Ashwell sailor Ben Saxton has been selected to represent Great Britain at the 2016 Rio Olympics after five additional competitors were added to the squad this week.
Saxton will compete alongside Nicola Groves in the Nacra 17 mixed multihull event, an event which sees its first Olympic Games outing this time around.
The pair were crowned European champions in the same discipline last year.
Nick Dempsey, one gold medal away from becoming the most successful men’s Olympic windsurfer in history, Charlotte Dobson and Sophie Ainsworth make up the rest of the recruits.
Saxton said: “I’m pretty excited to do two things towards the Games, one is get a medal for Nicola and I, and the other is to support the rest of the sailing team as much as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of our foreign competitors are envious of what we have got but I think we’ve a good mix, with the likes of Nick Dempsey and all of his Olympics experience, as well as some youth and enthusiasm.
“We bring our own skills so I think as a team we will be able to do something quite special in Rio.”
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show