Sailor Ben Saxton to represent Great Britain at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Credit: Archant
Ashwell sailor Ben Saxton has been selected to represent Great Britain at the 2016 Rio Olympics after five additional competitors were added to the squad this week.
Saxton will compete alongside Nicola Groves in the Nacra 17 mixed multihull event, an event which sees its first Olympic Games outing this time around.
The pair were crowned European champions in the same discipline last year.
Nick Dempsey, one gold medal away from becoming the most successful men’s Olympic windsurfer in history, Charlotte Dobson and Sophie Ainsworth make up the rest of the recruits.
Saxton said: “I’m pretty excited to do two things towards the Games, one is get a medal for Nicola and I, and the other is to support the rest of the sailing team as much as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of our foreign competitors are envious of what we have got but I think we’ve a good mix, with the likes of Nick Dempsey and all of his Olympics experience, as well as some youth and enthusiasm.
“We bring our own skills so I think as a team we will be able to do something quite special in Rio.”
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 3 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 4 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 5 The bells are back in town!
- 6 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
- 8 More people in Herts have been vaccinated than have had COVID-19
- 9 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn