Ruthless Rutherford powers Royston Town Ladies to Plate triumph
- Credit: Archant
Jo Rutherford notched all four goals as Royston Ladies beat Colney Heath 4-2 in the Eastern Region Ladies Football League Plate final to retain the trophy at Letchworth’s County Ground.
Town started strongly and it wasn’t long before Rutherford grabbed her first, sliding the ball passed the advancing Colney keeper.
A dubious penalty got Heath back on level terms, however, undeterred, Rutherford restored their lead within the space of 10 minutes.
Hesitancy among the Crows’ backline allowed Colney to equalise once more and two outstanding saves from Town’s keeper Becki Scott ensured the score stayed identical until half-time.
After the break, it was Royston who continued to press and their persistance, in particular Rutherford’s, who twice charged towards goal, only to be scythed down for two spot kicks, paid off.
Already in fine form, she duly converted both and the Garden Walk outfit hung on.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure