Ruthless Rutherford powers Royston Town Ladies to Plate triumph
- Credit: Archant
Jo Rutherford notched all four goals as Royston Ladies beat Colney Heath 4-2 in the Eastern Region Ladies Football League Plate final to retain the trophy at Letchworth’s County Ground.
Town started strongly and it wasn’t long before Rutherford grabbed her first, sliding the ball passed the advancing Colney keeper.
A dubious penalty got Heath back on level terms, however, undeterred, Rutherford restored their lead within the space of 10 minutes.
Hesitancy among the Crows’ backline allowed Colney to equalise once more and two outstanding saves from Town’s keeper Becki Scott ensured the score stayed identical until half-time.
After the break, it was Royston who continued to press and their persistance, in particular Rutherford’s, who twice charged towards goal, only to be scythed down for two spot kicks, paid off.
You may also want to watch:
Already in fine form, she duly converted both and the Garden Walk outfit hung on.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange