Ruthless Rutherford powers Royston Town Ladies to Plate triumph
- Credit: Archant
Jo Rutherford notched all four goals as Royston Ladies beat Colney Heath 4-2 in the Eastern Region Ladies Football League Plate final to retain the trophy at Letchworth’s County Ground.
Town started strongly and it wasn’t long before Rutherford grabbed her first, sliding the ball passed the advancing Colney keeper.
A dubious penalty got Heath back on level terms, however, undeterred, Rutherford restored their lead within the space of 10 minutes.
Hesitancy among the Crows’ backline allowed Colney to equalise once more and two outstanding saves from Town’s keeper Becki Scott ensured the score stayed identical until half-time.
After the break, it was Royston who continued to press and their persistance, in particular Rutherford’s, who twice charged towards goal, only to be scythed down for two spot kicks, paid off.
You may also want to watch:
Already in fine form, she duly converted both and the Garden Walk outfit hung on.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start