Ruthless Crows see off Hertford

Royston Town 4 Robins 11, Malins 44, 50, Lockett 51 Hertford Town 1 O Beale 20

ROYSTON TOWN produced a dazzling second half performance to put Hertford to the sword at Garden Walk on Tuesday night and maintained their 100 per cent start to the season.

It had looked doubtful whether the game would actually go ahead due to an unforeseen typhoon that began 40 minutes before kick off. But it was a good job it did because Paul Attfield’s side revelled on the slick surface and, after working hard to get their noses in front before half time, the whole team excelled after the break and the visitors just could not cope with their superiority all over the park.

The Crows started brightly as they looked to put Saturday’s disappointing FA Cup defeat to Crawley Green behind them and it took just 11 minutes before they broke the deadlock. Ryan Lockett’s pinpoint corner was headed home brilliantly by Luke Robins at the front post after evading his marker for his first goal of the season.

However, the Crows were unable to build on their advantage and a period of poor passing resulted in a Hertford equaliser.

Goalkeeper Jorden Gibson spilled a corner and the ball was swept home by O Beale despite some frantic attempts to clear the danger.

The goal really was against the run of play but the Crows re-organised well as they looked to re-take the lead. And they nearly did only a minute from the re-start when striker George Brinkman controlled a looping pass superbly on his chest before unleashing a stinging half-volley from the edge of the area that was well tipped over by the Hertford stopper.

Most Read

The rest of the half was played out without incident, until a minute before the interval when Royston restored their lead.

It was a neat goal which saw Brinkman and Locket link well to set up Tom Malins who burst into the area and coolly slotted the ball across the ‘keeper into the bottom corner.

Into the second half, and the Crows doubled their advantage on 50 minutes when Malins scored his second of the match.

Robins held the ball up brilliantly on the byline with two defenders for company before centre-half Liam McDevitt strode forward from the back to produce a cross which found its way to Malins on the edge of the area and the winger produced a rocket that went in off the post.

And a minute later the game was ended as a contest when Lockett scored his second goal of the season.

Robins, again, proved instrumental in the build up and his nonchalant back-heel to the on-rushing Lockett proved decisive as the Royston striker hit a fierce drive into the top corner from 15 yards giving the ‘keeper no chance.

Hertford heads unsurprisingly dropped after this and the Crows took advantage and played some attractive football that the visitors just couldn’t contend with.

Attfield’s side looked solid all over the park. Of course, being 4-1 up played a large part in this, but the defence comfortably dealt with the odd foray into their half from Hertford and Royston really should have added to their lead.

In the end, though, the three points were very much deserved and on this evidence they look like a side that will be very difficult to beat this year.

They will have the chance to make it four wins from four in the league on Saturday afternoon when they welcome Kentish Town to Garden Walk.

Royston: Gibson, Endacott (Grinham), McDevitt, Mulvaney, ??, Malins, Edwards, Collins, Robins (Bronti), Lockett, Brinkman (Young).