Russell century keeps perfect record intact

THRIPLOW continued their 100 per cent start to the season with a comprehensive victory over previously unbeaten Eversden. On a scorching afternoon and with a hard track and massive outfield, winning the toss was always going to be key. Thriplow skipper C

THRIPLOW continued their 100 per cent start to the season with a comprehensive victory over previously unbeaten Eversden.

On a scorching afternoon and with a hard track and massive outfield, winning the toss was always going to be key.

Thriplow skipper Chris Neild made a telling contribution by calling tails correctly and sentencing Eversden to what he hoped would be a long, hot afternoon in the field.

Dickon Turner and Martin Craze duly took advantage of some loose early bowling and the scoreboard ticked steadily onwards.

At the first drinks interval after 15 overs Thriplow were 69 without loss, and had built a base from which to launch their innings.

Craze fell for 36, aiming wide of mid-on but failing, but this only brought William Russell to the crease.

Most Read

After a couple of tentative pushes outside the off stump he and Turner pushed on mercilessly until Turner wilted in the heat and skied Yousef to cover for an excellent 71.

Paul Staley joined Russell and for 10 overs of carnage Thriplow's two premier swordsman traded boundaries as the temperature rose.

Eventually the "clash of the titans" went on points to Russell, as Staley was caught on the boundary for 35.

Matt Ayre kept Russell company as two massive sixes took him past three figures, but was then run out for three.

Godric Smith continued the run-fest with a pull for yet another six, but the fun was finally over as at 312, as Russell was bowled for 113.

In the final few overs Eversden collected some token bowling points as Thriplow's lower order came and went. Smith saw it through though for a steady 22 not out, and Malcolm Gilmer took to the crease for his maiden knock to finish on four not out.

Thriplow finished on a club record 330-7 and it was a weary Eversden side who sought solace in the pavilion at tea.

Needing seven an over, Warburton and Sam Sabey set off positively, but the latter played on to Nigel Morris for 11 to stem the flow.

Hartop joined Warburton and these two had reached 50 in the 11th over when Thriplow turned to pace man Malcolm Gilmer.

His first four balls were all fast but wide, and his team mates were wondering how long the over would last when his fifth was slightly straighter and induced a slash from danger man Warburton, on an ominous 25.

However it hit the inside edge and flicked the off bail and Thriplow sensed the 20 points would be going home with them.

Another two wides were then followed by an unplayable straight one, and Hartop was bowled for 16 to make it certain.

This decisive blow removed any chance of Eversden mounting a challenge, and the rest of the day effectively became a lengthy net session for all concerned.

Skipper Sid Sabey stroked his way to 64 before being bowled by Chris Viner, and Matt Ayre somehow managed to puff his way through five tidy overs

In the final over Bovington pushed a single to bring up a well-earned half century, and finished unbeaten on 51, but Eversden's 243-6, while a good score on any other day was well short of the Thriplow record.

The wickets were shared around, but following four victories under pinned by the Thriplow bowlers this one was firmly earned by the batsmen to leave them as the only unbeaten team in CCA Senior League Division Two.

In contrast Thriplow II slipped to a four-wicket home defeat against Abington, despite the efforts of Nathan Sugden.

Thriplow openers Goodacre and Berks were initially pegged back by the tight bowling of Hall and Thompson but were beginning to cut loose when, after four successive boundaries, Jon Berks (20) was unfortunate to be run out when an incapacitated Goodacre was unable to respond to a call for a quick single.

Duncan Baxter was promoted up the order to score some quick runs but fell three balls later for a duck to leave Thriplow 47-2.

Jerry Jackson replaced the forlorn Baxter and set about establishing himself during a period when only eight runs came from the next 6 overs.

This period of bowler ascendancy was only a prelude to some splendid stroke play from the immaculate Jackson who set about accelerating the scoring in awesome fashion, despite being hampered by an injured shoulder sustained in the previous week's match.

Goodacre fell for 34 but Duncan Walker played an invaluable supporting role to Jackson who was soon scoring at will to demoralise a tiring bowling attack.

Walker fell for 36 and then Thriplow lost Jackson for 76 with the score on 205 with two overs to go.

A final flourish was needed but unfortunately it came from the bowlers, who dismissed Sugden (13), Arriens (0) and Collins(0) in double quick time to restrict the total to a good but gettable 210-8.

The opening blast by Ali King and Sugden saw the score at 20-3 in the seventh over and Thriplow began to anticipate their first victory of the season.

The situation stabilised for a number of overs as Abington captain John Webb (45) and young Brookman (35) set about protecting their wickets while nudging the score on to keep them in with a chance of a late charge at the Thriplow total.

When three further wickets fell in quick succession, Thriplow's celebrations were muted as they knew that incoming danger-men Hall and Wagstaff had the capability of spoiling their day.

Both these batsmen began steadily, and were able to pick up singles and twos on a regular basis while smiting the occasional boundary to close in on the victory target.

A wicket was desperately needed and Sugden in particular tried his utmost to get the breakthrough.

In his last over, with 30 runs still required, Sugden found the edge of Halls bat and the chance flew to keeper Arriens who was distraught when the ball spilled out of his grip to the home team's dismay.

Sugden finished with excellent figures of 4-31, which in the context of the match was imperious, and he was unfortunate to find himself on the losing team when Hall (41 not out) and Wagstaff (37 not out) carried Abington to victory with four wickets and 10 balls to spare.