Royston Vets in 10 goal haul
Royston Town Vets 10 Buckden Vets 0 BUCKDEN were new visitors to Garden Walk on Sunday, but by the time the match had finished they will have wished they had never turned up. Royston Town Vets overwhelmed them 10-0 with Paul Lewis the star for Royston wit
Royston Town Vets 10 Buckden Vets 0
BUCKDEN were new visitors to Garden Walk on Sunday, but by the time the match had finished they will have wished they had never turned up.
Royston Town Vets overwhelmed them 10-0 with Paul Lewis the star for Royston with a four-goal haul.
Early exchanges were fairly even with Town creating good chances but unable to convert any of them, but the game changed after 20 minutes when Lewis put Town ahead from the penalty spot after referee Dave Anderson spotted a foul in the box.
The second followed soon after as Lewis headed in a great cross from Nick Humphries and midfielder Carlo Silenti added a third with a right-foot screamer from 35 yards.
Humphries added number four with a neat header from Paul Higginbotham's cross before Town's fifth goal was unselfishly laid on by Peter Leete for Lewis to record his first hat-trick of the season with a well-struck volley.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
The first-half goal fest was completed when Higginbotham crossed for Lewis to notch his fourth of the game.
Town continued to dominate again in the second half and scored at regular intervals.
First up was Jeff Dobson who coolly slotted in goal number seven and Leete finally got his name on the scoresheet following some good work by Mark Saggers, who went on to get a goal himself before Higginbotheam finished the rout.
Royston Town Vets: Behiley, Smith, Holden, Harris, Humphries, Silenti, McQueen, Saggers, Lewis, Leete, Higginbotham, Dobson, Pinner, King.
* Town travel to Letchworth (St Christopher's School) for next Sunday's fixture against Vintage Dundee.