Royston U16s add Herts Shield to league glory
- Credit: Archant
Royston RFC’s U16 made club history by adding the Herts Shield to the Saracens League championship they have already won.
It means over the past three seasons the team has been promoted three times and division champions twice, as well as being crowned Hertfordshire County Plate winners twice, Cambridge County Cup runners up and Eastern Counties finalists.
The quad also boasts nine players who have represented the Cambridgeshire County, with three going on to represent the Eastern Counties.
The boys capped a remarkable season with the Herts Shield win, beating Old Fullerians 64-5.
Royston raced to a 26-0 lead at half time and the points kept on coming in the second half as Royston scored 10 tries to Fullerians one.
The try scorers were led by Rhys Redrup and Harry Bayford, who both grabbed hat-tricks. Max Ayliffe bagged two, skipper Jacob Boyce and Eddie Twyman had one each.
In an incident-packed match Ben Ireland kicked seven conversions and put in an admirable performance. Full-back Chris Chivanganye and wing James Shannon were both unlucky not to score tries after numerous runs into Fullers’ territory.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
Scrums and line outs were dominated by forwards Cameron Bonfield, Theo Pow, James Reeder, Steve Graham, James Meecham, Callum Waring and flanker John Busher.
Under the tutelage of coaches Dave Ayliffe and Godfrey Everett this group of youths have become bright prospects for Royston’s senior team.
The team was: Cameron Bonfield; Theo Pow; James Reeder; Steve Graham; Callum Waring; John Busher; James Meacham; Jacob Boyce; Dominic Dunklin; Ben Ireland; Harry Bayford; Max Ayliffe; Rhys Redrup; James Shannon; Chris Chivanganye. Replacements: Eddie Twyman; James Kirby; Dan Jones; Joseph Gilhooly; Oscar Ayliffe; Max Oliver.