Royston U16s add Herts Shield to league glory
- Credit: Archant
Royston RFC’s U16 made club history by adding the Herts Shield to the Saracens League championship they have already won.
It means over the past three seasons the team has been promoted three times and division champions twice, as well as being crowned Hertfordshire County Plate winners twice, Cambridge County Cup runners up and Eastern Counties finalists.
The quad also boasts nine players who have represented the Cambridgeshire County, with three going on to represent the Eastern Counties.
The boys capped a remarkable season with the Herts Shield win, beating Old Fullerians 64-5.
Royston raced to a 26-0 lead at half time and the points kept on coming in the second half as Royston scored 10 tries to Fullerians one.
The try scorers were led by Rhys Redrup and Harry Bayford, who both grabbed hat-tricks. Max Ayliffe bagged two, skipper Jacob Boyce and Eddie Twyman had one each.
In an incident-packed match Ben Ireland kicked seven conversions and put in an admirable performance. Full-back Chris Chivanganye and wing James Shannon were both unlucky not to score tries after numerous runs into Fullers’ territory.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 3 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
Scrums and line outs were dominated by forwards Cameron Bonfield, Theo Pow, James Reeder, Steve Graham, James Meecham, Callum Waring and flanker John Busher.
Under the tutelage of coaches Dave Ayliffe and Godfrey Everett this group of youths have become bright prospects for Royston’s senior team.
The team was: Cameron Bonfield; Theo Pow; James Reeder; Steve Graham; Callum Waring; John Busher; James Meacham; Jacob Boyce; Dominic Dunklin; Ben Ireland; Harry Bayford; Max Ayliffe; Rhys Redrup; James Shannon; Chris Chivanganye. Replacements: Eddie Twyman; James Kirby; Dan Jones; Joseph Gilhooly; Oscar Ayliffe; Max Oliver.