Royston Town’s six-game winning streak ended with cup defeat at Biggleswade Town

Kaan Fehmi in action for Royston

Kaan Fehmi in action for Royston - Credit: Archant

Royston Town failed to negotiate the first hurdle in the Red Insure Cup as they lost 3-2 at Southern League Premier Division side Biggleswade Town.

Travelling to the Carlsberg Stadium on the back of an six-game winning streak which had propelled them to the Southern League Division One Central summit, the Crows could have caused a relative scalp at their higher-ranked neighbours.

However, youth got the better of experience as the hosts, fresh from nine changes from Saturday’s win over Frome Town, punctuated their good play with clinical finishing while Royston received an ear-bashing from manager Steve Castle for not taking theirs.

The visitors looked to be unphased with the task at hand as they took the lead from the spot in the fourth minute.

Kaan Fehmi was tripped inside the box and to the amazement of the home crowd, the penalty was awarded. Chris Watters unmercifully lashed beyond keeper Jamie Head to put Town in control of this cup tie.

That lasted until the 35th minute as Biggleswade were awarded a penalty of their own. Defender George Powell wrestled Oliver Lee to the floor and the referee had no hesitation in acknowledging the foul. Shane Hill converted the subsequent 12-yard effort.

Royston were good value for parity at the break but that was extinguished moments before the interval as Michael King supplied the arriving George Bailey to poke beyond Ron Yates.

Most Read

A stodgy second half ensued until the 70th minute when the home side doubled their lead.

Keeper Yates’ first touch, following a headed backpass, left a lot to be desired and King cheekily nipped in, rounded the embarrassed keeper and and coolly picked his spot.

With the game slipping away, Castle’s men were afforded another penalty as substitute Jack Bradshaw was caught by a defender’s high boot six yards out.

This time keeper Head guessed right though and batted Watters’ left-foot effort over the bar.

There was to be further late drama as Fehmi raced onto Josh Castiglione’s perfectly-weighted through pass to finish expertly but the youthful hosts hung on to reach round two.