Royston Town Ladies back to winning ways with 3-0 Colney victory
- Credit: Archant
Royston Town Ladies earned a bounce-back victory on Sunday, cruising past Colney Heath 3-0 at Garden Walk.
The Crows had their seven game unbeaten start to the Eastern Region Women’s Premier season ended last season, as a dominant second half from Acle United saw Royston lose 4-0.
However, they responded on Sunday with a professional performance against Colney to soar up to second - six points behind Acle, who have played an extra three games.
The Crows had a sluggish start but gradually settled and took the lead, with Hayley Eldred assisting Jo Rutherford for 1-0.
The hosts doubled their lead before the break, with Charlotte South finishing after Rutherford’s pass.
Royston were out of sight after the restart. A poor clearance from the visitors’ keeper left an empty net, and though South’s shot was blocked, Eldred was there to finish the job.
Colney had no answer and the home side saw the game out for their first clean sheet since October.
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 2 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 3 Children's kite design competition winners announced
- 4 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 5 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 6 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 7 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 10 Mid-August railway strike set to hit Hertfordshire train lines
Crows boss Lewis Endacott tweeted after the game: “I’m very pleased with the performance.
“It was a very good reaction from last week. We have got two big games coming up before Christmas, let’s finish the year on a high.”
The Crows’ final fixtures of the year will see them travel to Stevenage on Sunday in the Hertfordshire FA Women’s Cup, before a clash with title rivals Cambridge City.
Stevenage play in the FA Women’s National League South East Division One - one level above the Crows - and lie eighth in the 12 team league.
In the last round, Royston beat Bishop’s Stortford 12-1 in November, but their Hertfordshire rivals will prove a much tougher test.
Royston Town Ladies Development Squad made it a perfect Sunday for the Crows, as they beat Welwyn Pegasus Azures 6-1 after a hat-trick from Kierra Gabriel added to by Abby Laughlin, Jazmin Racher and Ellie Pickard.
The Development Squad are now third in the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Women’s League Division Two, five points behind league leaders Hitchin Town Ladies, who have played a game more than the Crows.
Royston have an opportunity to close the gap to Hitchin in their next game, when they travel to SG4 on Sunday.