Royston Town hit at home by AFC Hayes
- Credit: Archant
In what was Paul Attfield’s 320th and final game in charge of Royston Town, his Crows side fell to a 3-1 home defeat against AFC Hayes on Saturday.
The match was played in blustery conditions and a heavy pitch having been soaked by heavy rain fall just prior to the match starting.
Royston started slightly the more brightly, adopting their quick passing game with AFC having to adjust to the 4-2-3-1 formation our hosts favoured.
Royston took the lead in the 12 minute with a well-worked move down their right flank for Mitchell Bryant to drive the ball low into the AFC goal.
The opener seemed to wake AFC up and they started to cope defensively with the Royston formation and had more possession the longer the half continued.
Hayes equalised in the 37th minute, Romayne Thomas beat the opposing left-back, drove into the box and found Tashan Jordan unmarked who finished easily.
Royston nearly scored a second goal when the left back hit a shot from 25 yards destined for the far top corner, somehow Hayes keeper Ben Goode flew across his goal to tip the ball over for a corner.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 7 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 8 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
- 9 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 10 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
In the second half AFC was able to retain possession better and pose more of an offensive threat to the Royston goal; with the Royston defence struggling to cope with the wingers and Shennan and Kabamba through the middle.
Hayes took the lead on the 75th minute for a repeat of the first goal, only this time Shennan crossed for Jordan to score his second.
AFC scored their third and final goal in the 83rd minute, the ball was fed into Ramayne Thomas’s feet, who turned, beat the Royston defender and shot low into the goal from 18 yards.