Royston Town crash out of FA Trophy after 2-1 home to Ryman Premier Witham Town
- Credit: Archant
A depleted Royston Town side were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Witham Town, 2-1.
The Crows played with a makeshift defence with Jack Bradshaw starting on the right, Chris Watters at left-back and George Powell partnering midfielder Spyros Mentis at centre-half.
The visitors took the lead 18 minutes into the match when Scott Bridges’ misplaced pass saw Witham get forward, and when in behind the Town defence the ball was squared for Lewis Godbold who fired low past Dominic Russo.
Royston were pushed back, and Russo was forced into making a fine save to keep his side within a goal.
The goalkeeper was again forced into action not long after the break, before Royston, already with a number of injuries in their ranks, lost Ryan Ingrey on the hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
He was replaced by Lewis Endacott, himself returning from injury.
Witham doubled their lead with just over 15 minutes to go when Daniel Emmanuel got the better of Endacott and crossed for Ellis Brown to score.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 4 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 8 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
The hosts were then awarded a soft penalty after Reece Dobson had been fouled in the box, but Kaan Fehmi hit the woodwork.
Dobson then scored a late consolation, but Town were unable to peg Witham back.
Town: Russo, Bradshaw, Powell, Mentis, Watters (Lockett), Scott Bridges, Stuart Bridges, Hart, Fehmi, Ingrey (Endacott), Dobson. Subs: Wharton, Kilgallon, Meredith.