Royston Town crash out of FA Trophy after 2-1 home to Ryman Premier Witham Town
- Credit: Archant
A depleted Royston Town side were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Witham Town, 2-1.
The Crows played with a makeshift defence with Jack Bradshaw starting on the right, Chris Watters at left-back and George Powell partnering midfielder Spyros Mentis at centre-half.
The visitors took the lead 18 minutes into the match when Scott Bridges’ misplaced pass saw Witham get forward, and when in behind the Town defence the ball was squared for Lewis Godbold who fired low past Dominic Russo.
Royston were pushed back, and Russo was forced into making a fine save to keep his side within a goal.
The goalkeeper was again forced into action not long after the break, before Royston, already with a number of injuries in their ranks, lost Ryan Ingrey on the hour mark.
He was replaced by Lewis Endacott, himself returning from injury.
Witham doubled their lead with just over 15 minutes to go when Daniel Emmanuel got the better of Endacott and crossed for Ellis Brown to score.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
The hosts were then awarded a soft penalty after Reece Dobson had been fouled in the box, but Kaan Fehmi hit the woodwork.
Dobson then scored a late consolation, but Town were unable to peg Witham back.
Town: Russo, Bradshaw, Powell, Mentis, Watters (Lockett), Scott Bridges, Stuart Bridges, Hart, Fehmi, Ingrey (Endacott), Dobson. Subs: Wharton, Kilgallon, Meredith.