Royston Town boss fumes at “ridiculous” officials after Leighton Town clash postponed for “not even half a foot” of frozen pitch
- Credit: Archant
Steve Castle lashed out at the officials due to take charge of Royston Town’s already re-arranged Southern League Division One Central clash with Leighton Town at Garden Walk tonight (Tuesday) after the pitch was deemed unplayable moments before kick-off and thus was postponed.
With the game scheduled to start at 7.45pm, officials delayed kick-off until 8pm before deciding minutes before the re-arranged start time that an area of the pitch was in fact frozen and therefore unsafe.
Royston boss Castle told the Crow: “Their manager (Stuart Murray) didn’t want to play and agreed with the referee that it wasn’t safe.
“There’s not even half a foot of pitch near our dugout that isn’t the best and they called it off.
“We were more than happy to play but it’s not gone ahead. It’s ridiculous.”
You may also want to watch:
The game will be re-scheduled in due course.
The Crows host Arlesey Town in the league this Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start