Royston Town boss fumes at “ridiculous” officials after Leighton Town clash postponed for “not even half a foot” of frozen pitch
- Credit: Archant
Steve Castle lashed out at the officials due to take charge of Royston Town’s already re-arranged Southern League Division One Central clash with Leighton Town at Garden Walk tonight (Tuesday) after the pitch was deemed unplayable moments before kick-off and thus was postponed.
With the game scheduled to start at 7.45pm, officials delayed kick-off until 8pm before deciding minutes before the re-arranged start time that an area of the pitch was in fact frozen and therefore unsafe.
Royston boss Castle told the Crow: “Their manager (Stuart Murray) didn’t want to play and agreed with the referee that it wasn’t safe.
“There’s not even half a foot of pitch near our dugout that isn’t the best and they called it off.
“We were more than happy to play but it’s not gone ahead. It’s ridiculous.”
The game will be re-scheduled in due course.
The Crows host Arlesey Town in the league this Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 8 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 9 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party