Royston Town boss fumes at “ridiculous” officials after Leighton Town clash postponed for “not even half a foot” of frozen pitch
- Credit: Archant
Steve Castle lashed out at the officials due to take charge of Royston Town’s already re-arranged Southern League Division One Central clash with Leighton Town at Garden Walk tonight (Tuesday) after the pitch was deemed unplayable moments before kick-off and thus was postponed.
With the game scheduled to start at 7.45pm, officials delayed kick-off until 8pm before deciding minutes before the re-arranged start time that an area of the pitch was in fact frozen and therefore unsafe.
Royston boss Castle told the Crow: “Their manager (Stuart Murray) didn’t want to play and agreed with the referee that it wasn’t safe.
“There’s not even half a foot of pitch near our dugout that isn’t the best and they called it off.
“We were more than happy to play but it’s not gone ahead. It’s ridiculous.”
You may also want to watch:
The game will be re-scheduled in due course.
The Crows host Arlesey Town in the league this Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe