Royston Town bolster title hopes with Blues cruise
- Credit: Archant
Simon Thomas’ brace either side of the interval, complemeneted by Jack Bradshaw’s spot-kick double - despite the midfeidler also missing another - ensured a convincing 4-1 home win over Arlesey Town and kept them in the Southern League Division One Central title race.
The hosts started the better and on 20 minutes they struck first.
A fine Scott Bridges pass found the eager and alert Thomas and he displayed good strength and poise to run on and finish with accuracy.
The home side remained in command until half-time and should have gone further ahead moments after the break.
Rhys Hoenes was felled in the box and Bradshaw seized the ball. However, his penalty was kept out.
That slip-up looked to have derailed the home side as a few minutes later, Arlesey were level.
The ball was poached in midfield by the visitors and eventually found its way to Jevani Brown who struck to level proceedings at 1-1.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 3 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 4 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 7 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
That lead only lasted seven minutes as Thomas again showed power and determination to drive on to goal and sidefoot home.
Hoenes was again fouled for penalty number two on 66 minutes and this time Bradshaw – showing no sign of nerves after his previously saved effort - made no mistake.
Then again, on 73 minutes, Ingrey, going away from the goal, was recklessly tripped and Bradshaw powered home the penalty.