Royston Town 3-0 Alvechurch: Bridges bags on return as Crows start season with win
- Credit: Archant
Royston beat Alvechurch 3-0 on Saturday afternoon to start the new Southern League Premier Division Central season with a win, as Scott Bridges scored on his return to Garden Walk.
The midfielder gave Royston the lead on 31 minutes when he nodded home from close range, before summer signing Brandon Adams flicked Joe Newton's cross into the net to put them 2-0 up on 42 minutes.
Another new arrival made it 3-0 in the 96th minute, when Matt Bateman headed his first league goal for the club.
Royston boss Steve Castle was delighted with the result, telling the club's official website: "It was a great win on the opening day of the season.
"It was really pleasing and a superb reward for our hard-working squad.
"They really have shown fantastic commitment and positive attitudes throughout the pre-season and although our friendlies have been up and down results-wise, we have learned and developed, week by week.
"To a player, the boys worked so hard. They showed great technical ability and fantastic finishing qualities.
- 1 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 2 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 7 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Sign up to Rainbow Run in aid of our hospitals
"The second-half and what really should have been an easier half in as much as we had the slope, the weather and the lead but it never really materialised.
"I have my own thoughts but I'll keep them to myself if I may, only because I want to keep a positive vibe to things, especially after a convincing 3-0 win."
It wasn't all good news for Castle though, as a number of his squad picked up knocks against Alvechurch.
"On the injury front, we have a few worries," he said.
"Josh Castiglione had to come off due to an ankle problem that will need an X-ray, Harold Joseph has tweaked a knee ligament but will hopefully be alright and Scott Bridges has also picked up an ankle problem."
The Crows return to action in Southern League Premier Division Central when they travel to Banbury United on Saturday afternoon.
Royston: Welch, Scott-Morriss, Newton, Bridge, Murry, Braithwaite, Asafu-Adjaye, Joseph (Rotini, 74), Adams (Ofosu, 63), Bateman, Castiglione (Green, 58).
Alvechurch: Clayton, Ezewele, T Morrison, McNaught, K Morrison, Rowley, Usher-Shipway, Botfield (Suaune), Nesbitt (Okafor), Monteiro, Atherton (Roberts).