Royston throw away victory

Both Royston teams suffer late defeats

ROYSTON somehow contrived to drop more points on Saturday against Pinner & Grammarians after throwing away the victory in the dying seconds.

Royston started the game on the front foot with the pack dominating play in much the usual way but a small slip up from allowed the Grammarians winger to cut through the backline and score a counter attack try against the run of play.

This seemed to wake up the Royston youngsters and it was not long before back-row Nick Alford stole a lovely ball from the Pinner No.8 to then run 30 meters down the pitch before powering through two tackles to touch the ball down and level the score.

Shortly afterwards Australian David Ayelife took a good ball from the back of a strong series of rucks to go over the line and put Royston in the lead for the first time in the match.

Straight from the kick off Schurch took a lovely ball and jinked his way through the Pinner defence to score an excellent solo try to give the Crows a 17-5 advantage at half time.

The first 20 minutes of the second half were fairly uneventful with both sides trading rucks and mauls.

Most Read

Royston extended the lead when Pete Collins was set free to score their fourth try and make the score 22-5 with only eight minutes left on the clock.

However, Pinner were not content to roll over and quickly set about trying to console themselves. Out of nowhere a simple Royston backline move ended with the Pinner centre receiving the ball and running in a try under the posts.

Royston kicked off again looking to see the game out when they inexplicably gave the ball away to the centre again who then waltzed through unopposed to score a try.

With the final play of the game Royston were camped on their own line when finally the Pinner pack scored a fourth try to win the game.

Royston IIs lost 15-12 away at Saffron Walden after more late drama.

They were not helped by the absence of both captain Steve Patmore and kicking sensation Colin Letch but started fairly brightly and took the lead after a powerful run from Dan Ritsema fed Jack Sirett who ran through to touch down and convert his own try.

Table-topping Royston took the foot off the gas and expected the trys to flow but Saffron Walden had other ideas and hit back to score two trys before half time.

Royston re-organised themselves at half time and brought on veteran try-poacher Steve Bass for his first run-out of the season. He made an almost instant impression by adding pace and power to the exciting back-line until he unfortunately had to leave the field after suffering a nasty cut to the head.

Royston hauled themselves in front after a quick-thinking Jamie Green picked and drove a tap penalty. Green was held up just before the line but unselfishly turned and presented the chance for Simon Gladwell to power over for his first try in 10 years and give Royston the lead.

However, with virtually the last play of the game a Saffron Walden player made a break down the left with Royston sensibly ushering the player off the field of play but the referee bizarrely waved play on, despite the winger being a good five yards off the pitch.

He carried on his run and came back onto the pitch to score the match-winning try top leave Royston with a bitter taste in the mouth.