Royston Tennis Club finals serve up high drama
- Credit: Archant
Matt Fellingham won his 11th singles title in a day of high drama at Royston Tennis Club’s finals day.
Fellingham beat last year’s champion James Lee 7-6 (10-8), 6-1.
In the veterans’ final, Jeremy Tuck defeated Russell Hollinshead in straight sets.
The juniors impressed all the spectators with their high-quality finals.
In a hard-fought match, Joel Green beat Chloe Holt in the mini Reds final.
Stanley Ball beat Archie Jones in the Orange final and then prevailed over Rory Rees in the Green final.
On-song Ball also made the U12 final but was beaten by Harry Lee.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 5 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 7 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 8 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 9 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate
- 10 Town pays tribute to 'Mr Royston' who made huge contribution to community
In the U16 final, Edward Sclare beat Gareth Byles in a gruelling three-set match.
Meanwhile, in the 2015 Cambridgeshire Winter League, the Royston men’s 4ths, playing in Division Four, had a great start to the season, winning 5-3 away to Saffron Walden 3rds. The team was made up by Phil Fawcus, Doug Higgins, Russell Hollinshead and Leo Pickett.
In their next match, the 4ths then hammered Ely 8-0 at home. David Addison, Doug Higgins, John Holmes and Edward Sclare were the winning quartet.
In the mixed tournament, the Royston mixed 2nds, in Division One, secured a draw against Shelford.
Also in Division One, the Royston 1st and 3rd teams played each other with a 7-1 victory for the former.
In the ladies tournament, the Royston 2nds suffered two defeats, first losing to Risbygate 5-3, and then 5-3 to Newmarket 2nds.
Royston Tennis Club welcomes new members and operates a full LTA tennis programme of coaching, matches and tournaments for mini, junior, adult and veteran players of all abilities.
For more information, visit www.roystontennis.co.uk or find Royston Tennis Club on Facebook.