Royston Tennis Club finals serve up high drama
- Credit: Archant
Matt Fellingham won his 11th singles title in a day of high drama at Royston Tennis Club’s finals day.
Fellingham beat last year’s champion James Lee 7-6 (10-8), 6-1.
In the veterans’ final, Jeremy Tuck defeated Russell Hollinshead in straight sets.
The juniors impressed all the spectators with their high-quality finals.
In a hard-fought match, Joel Green beat Chloe Holt in the mini Reds final.
You may also want to watch:
Stanley Ball beat Archie Jones in the Orange final and then prevailed over Rory Rees in the Green final.
On-song Ball also made the U12 final but was beaten by Harry Lee.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
In the U16 final, Edward Sclare beat Gareth Byles in a gruelling three-set match.
Meanwhile, in the 2015 Cambridgeshire Winter League, the Royston men’s 4ths, playing in Division Four, had a great start to the season, winning 5-3 away to Saffron Walden 3rds. The team was made up by Phil Fawcus, Doug Higgins, Russell Hollinshead and Leo Pickett.
In their next match, the 4ths then hammered Ely 8-0 at home. David Addison, Doug Higgins, John Holmes and Edward Sclare were the winning quartet.
In the mixed tournament, the Royston mixed 2nds, in Division One, secured a draw against Shelford.
Also in Division One, the Royston 1st and 3rd teams played each other with a 7-1 victory for the former.
In the ladies tournament, the Royston 2nds suffered two defeats, first losing to Risbygate 5-3, and then 5-3 to Newmarket 2nds.
Royston Tennis Club welcomes new members and operates a full LTA tennis programme of coaching, matches and tournaments for mini, junior, adult and veteran players of all abilities.
For more information, visit www.roystontennis.co.uk or find Royston Tennis Club on Facebook.