Royston takes Cairns Cup
ROYSTON Bowls Club has been crowned Letchworth & District Cairns Cup champions following an impressive victory over Riverain BC. On rink two, Andy Keating, Terry Hollands and skip Mick O Flanagan fought hard and took some important points despite slippin
ROYSTON Bowls Club has been crowned Letchworth & District Cairns Cup champions following an impressive victory over Riverain BC.
On rink two, Andy Keating, Terry Hollands and skip Mick O'Flanagan fought hard and took some important points despite slipping to a narrow 18-16 defeat. However, on rink one Derek Goodwin led his team of Colin Pawson and Roger Neville turned the table and saw Royston home to another tight victory by beating their opponents 14-13.
Brian Pepper, Peter Graves and skip Will Martin put Royston firmly in the driving seat with an impressive 18-10 victory, with Peter Adams, Simon Lee and Stewart Brown securing the cup triumph with a convincing 22-6 win.
Youngster, Matt Coppen was less fortunate in his pursuit of the National Under-25s title and slipped to a disappointing second round defeat in Worthing, having breezed through the first round with a commanding 21-9 victory.
You may also want to watch:
Coppen said: "I needed to raise my game, but it just wouldn't happen."
Elsewhere, returning from a successful tour, Royston returned to their North Herts League action against Roebuck BC. In two rinks of fours, Stan Whitehouse, Mel Flack, Laurie Ramsay and Peter Adams got Royston off to a good start with a comfortable 22-9 win. Don Sheriff, Simon Lee, Stewart Brown and Mick O'Flanagan capped a fine win, with a narrow 25-23 victory to see Royston home to a 47-32 win.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
The Vets were also in action, and despite Peter Sizemore's team slipping to a 76-61 defeat against Baldock, they bounced back with a comfortable 135-74 win at Stevenage Town.
In the North Herts Triples, Beryl Huckle, Brenda Hollands and Yvonne Whitehouse edged out their Whitethorn rivals with a well-worked 18-10 win, while in the men's L&D Singles quarter-final, Peter Adams capped a successful week and kept his nerve to take a deserved 21-14 win over Letchworth Conservatives.