Royston suffer cup loss
Bovingdon 2 Royston Town 0 ROYSTON were knocked out of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy after a surprise defeat away to Bovingdon. Manager Paul Attfield tinkered with his starting eleven, playing Ricky Young and Ryan Lockett up front and naming Ross Col
Bovingdon 2 Royston Town 0
ROYSTON were knocked out of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy after a surprise defeat away to Bovingdon.
Manager Paul Attfield tinkered with his starting eleven, playing Ricky Young and Ryan Lockett up front and naming Ross Collins as captain in centre midfield, and his changes looked like they might have paid off after a goalless first half in which they created lots of chances.
Bovingdon proved to be no pushovers, however, and went ahead in the second half when a shot took a bad bounce in front of Damion Williamson.
The ball hit the Royston keeper on the shoulder and dropped at the feet of a Bovingdon striker who put the ball in the net.
Royston twice came to close to equalising when Young hit the bar and David Cain, returning to the side after missing last week's match against Bedford reserves through injury, headed just over, but they were unable to convert any of their chances.
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 5 Royston Town happy to be a breeding ground if it helps their own progression
- 6 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
Bovingdon killed the match off with a later second to knock Royston out of the competition.