Royston suffer cup loss
Bovingdon 2 Royston Town 0 ROYSTON were knocked out of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy after a surprise defeat away to Bovingdon. Manager Paul Attfield tinkered with his starting eleven, playing Ricky Young and Ryan Lockett up front and naming Ross Col
Bovingdon 2 Royston Town 0
ROYSTON were knocked out of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy after a surprise defeat away to Bovingdon.
Manager Paul Attfield tinkered with his starting eleven, playing Ricky Young and Ryan Lockett up front and naming Ross Collins as captain in centre midfield, and his changes looked like they might have paid off after a goalless first half in which they created lots of chances.
Bovingdon proved to be no pushovers, however, and went ahead in the second half when a shot took a bad bounce in front of Damion Williamson.
The ball hit the Royston keeper on the shoulder and dropped at the feet of a Bovingdon striker who put the ball in the net.
Royston twice came to close to equalising when Young hit the bar and David Cain, returning to the side after missing last week's match against Bedford reserves through injury, headed just over, but they were unable to convert any of their chances.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
Bovingdon killed the match off with a later second to knock Royston out of the competition.