Royston steal victory
Royston Ladies 2 Stevenage II 1 IN a tiring match Royston did enough to seal victory in a hard-fought battle with Stevenage. Royston started strongly with Julie Fuller, Emma Logan and Denise Underwood putting the Stevenage defence under immediate pressur
Royston Ladies 2 Stevenage II 1
IN a tiring match Royston did enough to seal victory in a hard-fought battle with Stevenage.
Royston started strongly with Julie Fuller, Emma Logan and Denise Underwood putting the Stevenage defence under immediate pressure.
And they were soon in front when Kirsty McKenzie smashed the ball past the Stevenage keeper for her first goal for the club after some good work from player-of-the-match Ellie Mann and Sarah Buckerfield.
You may also want to watch:
However, despite Royston's run of play Stevenage levelled just before half time, after keeper Laura Price had kept them at bay with a number of good saves.
And it was the visitors who came out the strongest after the re-start, and they were rewarded several shot corners with Royston defenders Martine Powley and Vicky Bidwell having to be on alert.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
However, after thwarting the Stevenage attacks, the Crows hit back and finally found their feet once more. And they were back in front when McKenzie grabbed her second of the match following a brilliant solo run.
Royston Ladies III 0 St Albans V 2
ROYSTON faced a strong St Albans side and had to defend well from the start with defenders Teresa Smith, Di Hassen, Jo Pearce and Gemma Luckman doing well.
However, St Albans made the breakthrough after 15 minutes, although Sarah Warren, Caroline Yarrow and Harriet Johnson were all unfortunate not to score a Royston equaliser.
After half time, St Albans came out strong again and scored their second with another well-taken strike, despite the fine goal keeping of player-of-the-match Mel Harding protected who made a number of good saves throughout.
Other results: Royston II 0 St Albans 5; Royston II 2 Harpenden 1; Royston V 0 Southgate Adelaide III.