Royston steal victory
Royston Ladies 2 Stevenage II 1 IN a tiring match Royston did enough to seal victory in a hard-fought battle with Stevenage. Royston started strongly with Julie Fuller, Emma Logan and Denise Underwood putting the Stevenage defence under immediate pressur
Royston Ladies 2 Stevenage II 1
IN a tiring match Royston did enough to seal victory in a hard-fought battle with Stevenage.
Royston started strongly with Julie Fuller, Emma Logan and Denise Underwood putting the Stevenage defence under immediate pressure.
And they were soon in front when Kirsty McKenzie smashed the ball past the Stevenage keeper for her first goal for the club after some good work from player-of-the-match Ellie Mann and Sarah Buckerfield.
However, despite Royston's run of play Stevenage levelled just before half time, after keeper Laura Price had kept them at bay with a number of good saves.
And it was the visitors who came out the strongest after the re-start, and they were rewarded several shot corners with Royston defenders Martine Powley and Vicky Bidwell having to be on alert.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
However, after thwarting the Stevenage attacks, the Crows hit back and finally found their feet once more. And they were back in front when McKenzie grabbed her second of the match following a brilliant solo run.
Royston Ladies III 0 St Albans V 2
ROYSTON faced a strong St Albans side and had to defend well from the start with defenders Teresa Smith, Di Hassen, Jo Pearce and Gemma Luckman doing well.
However, St Albans made the breakthrough after 15 minutes, although Sarah Warren, Caroline Yarrow and Harriet Johnson were all unfortunate not to score a Royston equaliser.
After half time, St Albans came out strong again and scored their second with another well-taken strike, despite the fine goal keeping of player-of-the-match Mel Harding protected who made a number of good saves throughout.
Other results: Royston II 0 St Albans 5; Royston II 2 Harpenden 1; Royston V 0 Southgate Adelaide III.