Royston stay in play-off places
- Credit: Archant
ROYSTON Town consolidated their position in the Southern Central division play-off places with victory over Thatcham Town at Garden Walk on Tuesday evening.
The Crows scored twice in the final 10 minutes of the match to take the points, just three days after they were dealt a late shock themselves when a 93rd minute goal allowed Burnham a share of the spoils on Saturday afternoon.
There were no such problems on Tuesday, though, as Royston moved to within one point of league leaders Biggleswade Town.
The top five positions in the league are separated by just one point at the moment, with the gap between the Crows, who occupy fifth place, and Beaconsfield SYCOB, who are in sixth, now standing at just six points.
Tom Malins scored two of Royston’s three goals this week.
It was the attacking player who put Paul Attfield’s men ahead against Burnham on Saturday only for the visitors to level the game in the 93rd minute.
In Tuesday’s match neither side was able to break the deadlock before half-time.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 4 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
Royston made the breakthrough with Kaan Fehmi scoring in the 80th minute when he latched on to a long ball and put his finish past the hapless Aaron Bufton.
The points were then made safe when Malins’ good run combined with some poor defending saw him finish well with just two minutes remaining.
Royston Town. Williamson. Endacott. Parr. DeLaSalle. Beck. Spencer. Edwards. Malins. Fehmi. Lockett. Robins. Subs: Wilson. O’Brien. Robertson. Norris.
This weekend the Crows are away at mid-table Uxbridge.
On Tuesday, Blackstones are the visitors to Royston for their first round match in the Hinchingbrooke Cup.
It is a 7.45pm kick-off at Garden Walk.