Royston squeeze home in thriller
Royston 20 Netherhall 18 AFTER making a couple of changes to their usual line up, Royston saw off old rivals Netherhall in a narrow, exciting victory. Royston moved Emma Higton and Emma Kelly into the shooting circle, and despite a slow start they ende
Royston 20 Netherhall 18
AFTER making a couple of changes to their usual line up, Royston saw off old rivals Netherhall in a narrow, exciting victory.
Royston moved Emma Higton and Emma Kelly into the shooting circle, and despite a slow start they ended the quarter 4-2 in front, with defenders Anna Pinner, Jo Moxham and Jackie Huttlestone keeping things tight.
In the second quarter, more changes were made, with Tracy Stimson moving back into the shooting circle and Higton moving back to the centre.
And the changes helped Royston score further goals, with Carol Parcell also involved in the action.
The third quarter was still very tight with both teams nervous as they battled for possession, with the period ending 13-13.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 5 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 6 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 7 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 8 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 9 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 10 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
However, in the final period, Royston began to take the initiative with Pinner and Moxham formidable at the back with a number of interceptions. While at the other end Stimson was taking her chances with some impressive shooting and gradually Royston held on to claim a deserved win.
Captain Parcell said: "This was a great win for us, it was the first time we have ever beaten them.
"This victory strengthens our position in the table and should ensure we remain in the regional league."
Royston: Pinner, Moxham, Huttlestone, Higton, Parcell, Hume, Clark, Stimson, Kelly.