Royston squeeze home in thriller
Royston 20 Netherhall 18 AFTER making a couple of changes to their usual line up, Royston saw off old rivals Netherhall in a narrow, exciting victory. Royston moved Emma Higton and Emma Kelly into the shooting circle, and despite a slow start they ende
Royston 20 Netherhall 18
AFTER making a couple of changes to their usual line up, Royston saw off old rivals Netherhall in a narrow, exciting victory.
Royston moved Emma Higton and Emma Kelly into the shooting circle, and despite a slow start they ended the quarter 4-2 in front, with defenders Anna Pinner, Jo Moxham and Jackie Huttlestone keeping things tight.
In the second quarter, more changes were made, with Tracy Stimson moving back into the shooting circle and Higton moving back to the centre.
And the changes helped Royston score further goals, with Carol Parcell also involved in the action.
The third quarter was still very tight with both teams nervous as they battled for possession, with the period ending 13-13.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 3 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 5 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 8 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
However, in the final period, Royston began to take the initiative with Pinner and Moxham formidable at the back with a number of interceptions. While at the other end Stimson was taking her chances with some impressive shooting and gradually Royston held on to claim a deserved win.
Captain Parcell said: "This was a great win for us, it was the first time we have ever beaten them.
"This victory strengthens our position in the table and should ensure we remain in the regional league."
Royston: Pinner, Moxham, Huttlestone, Higton, Parcell, Hume, Clark, Stimson, Kelly.