Royston slip up again

Harpenden II 3 Royston 1 FIELDING a under-strength side on Saturday Royston lost their second successive game. With three players unavailable and one of Royston s players not turning up, the team got to the pitch late, and began the game without a

Harpenden II 3 Royston 1

FIELDING a under-strength side on Saturday Royston lost their second successive game.

With three players unavailable and one of Royston's players not turning up, the team got to the pitch late, and began the game without a team talk or warm up.

As the away side however they started quite brightly creating chances that they should have scored, and keeping Harpenden from getting a single shot on goal.

Royston's second half display once again, left a lot to be desired. Harpenden soon went ahead from a short corner, and doubled their tally from another a few minuets later.

The visitors reverted to a poor, route one tactic giving possession away cheaply, and deserving to go three down as Harpenden finished the game off.

Most Read

Nick Hurd did manage to score a consolation goal but it was a case of too little too late.

Royston must go back to playing quick and simple hockey if they want to progress this season.

Royston II 0 Broxbourne III 2

ROYSTON were forced to defend for long periods of the first half against a strong well-organised Broxbourne side.

A good defensive performance combined with some fine saves from man of the match Craig Jackson frustrated the visitors until just before the break.

After the break the home side produced some good attacking hockey, but was unable to force an equalising goal despite creating several good chances.

The visitors guaranteed the points by converting a penalty flick in the last quarter.

Royston V 2 Hertford IV 2

ROYSTON soon settled into some good flowing hockey with chances coming their way.

Hertford found it difficult to get the ball out over the half-way line and it was just a matter of time before John Gourd opened the scoring for Royston.

Nathen Capay then made it 2-0 just before the break, with a well-taken effort from a tight angle.

The second half was a very different game for both sides, with Royston not being able to put away many more chances and Hertford finding their form, as they pulled two goals back.

In the last 10 minutes it was Royston that now had to work hard in defence and on the final whistle both sides had to settle for a point each.

Royston III 8 Blueharts V 0

AN EXCELLENT team performance saw basement side Blueharts hammered at Bassingbourn.

Gary Pinner in Royston's goal spent the match as a pedestrian, without one touch of the ball, the defence being controlled by sweeper Colin Smith celebrating his 50th birthday.

With John Sussex and Dan Taylor as full backs no one was going to get passed, with young George Moffat having yet another excellent game as centre back closing down the centre forward and pushing him out wide to breakdown any attack coming through.

Man-of-the-match Simon Mansfield played well in the middle of the park, but it was not until the second half that the normally good passing game of Royston came to its full potential.

It took 10 minutes in the first half for Royston to open their campaign with a well-worked goal from a penalty corner.

Tim Yow stopped the set piece penalty corner from Smith and Paul Bloomfield fired in, the keeper saved and winger Colin Bateman stole in at the far post to flick past the stranded keeper.

The stern half time talk from captain Taylor was all that was needed, no more arguing and the passing soon turned in to goals. Parsons now back on the pitch opened his account to get his tally up to three from two games.

Quickly followed by Bateman with one of his typical back post finishes.

Smith had two chances saved from the top of the D, with Michael Welding picking up from the rebound.

Bloomfield, who up to now had been quiet, then came into his forte scoring from a short corner.

Again young Michael Welding ran round the defence with a tight angle shot to beat the keeper. Smith at the near post from a short corner then missed an easy open goal by roofing into the pitch surround from less than a metre.

Royston put on more and more pressure; defending high up the pitch and not letting Blueharts break out.

Yow blasted in to open his account. Bloomfield then flicked on a Welding shot to make it eight.

Blatant jug avoidance then crept into the forwards for the last few minutes, as the score could have increased.

With a trip to Hertford on Saturday Royston will be looking to continue with the consistent squad, open play leading to goals and clean sheets from solid defending.

Letchworth V 4 Royston IV 1

FOR the second week in succession early mistakes meant Royston were forced to chase the game as poor marking allowed the home side to take a four goal lead.

The one consolation was that Royston did more than hold their own for the rest of the game, despite being reduced to 10 men for much of the second half due to a yellow card.

Royston looked good going forward, particularly down the right, and with better finishing might well have got back in the game.

The Royston goal came from a direct strike from a short corner by skipper Bob Biddlecombe.