Royston sign Sypros Mentis
- Credit: Archant
Royston Town have signed Spyros Mentis from Takeley FC, manager Steve Castle’s former club.
The central midfielder made his debut in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Uxbridge and was again in the starting line-up on Tuesday against Bishop’s Stortford in the Herts Charity Cup.
Despite losing 1-0, Mentis put in a good performance at centre back before moving forward into his more comfortable position where he broke up a number of Stortford attacks.
Speaking after Tuesday’s loss, Castle said: “Spyros is a lad I have a lot of time for - I gave him his Conference South debut at St Albans City when he was 16. I’ve always had belief in him and when I made the move from step five [with Takeley] to step four [with Royston] I knew he could play at this level.”
He added: “Spyros will add a bite to the team. His enthusiasim and fitness will be infectious and hopefully he’ll be a really big plus in the engine room.”
You may also want to watch:
Mentis’ next chance to show his worth is on Saturday when Royston welcome Beaconsfield SYCOB to Garden Walk, 3pm kick-off.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 9 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 10 Citizens Advice North Herts reopens Royston office