Royston sign Sypros Mentis
- Credit: Archant
Royston Town have signed Spyros Mentis from Takeley FC, manager Steve Castle’s former club.
The central midfielder made his debut in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Uxbridge and was again in the starting line-up on Tuesday against Bishop’s Stortford in the Herts Charity Cup.
Despite losing 1-0, Mentis put in a good performance at centre back before moving forward into his more comfortable position where he broke up a number of Stortford attacks.
Speaking after Tuesday’s loss, Castle said: “Spyros is a lad I have a lot of time for - I gave him his Conference South debut at St Albans City when he was 16. I’ve always had belief in him and when I made the move from step five [with Takeley] to step four [with Royston] I knew he could play at this level.”
He added: “Spyros will add a bite to the team. His enthusiasim and fitness will be infectious and hopefully he’ll be a really big plus in the engine room.”
You may also want to watch:
Mentis’ next chance to show his worth is on Saturday when Royston welcome Beaconsfield SYCOB to Garden Walk, 3pm kick-off.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club