Royston see off CUP - but at a cost
Cambs Invitation Cup Round One
Royston Town 3
Cambridge University Press 1
ROYSTON made it through to the second round of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Wednesday night with victory over Cambridge University Press.
It was the Crows’ second match in 24 hours after losing 3-2 to Bletchley in the League Cup on Tuesday night.
Royston went ahead after just two minutes through Jason Beck’s header from debutant and former Ipswich Town acadamy player, Joe Clemo’s cross. Kaan Fehmi then hit the crossbar with a fierce 20-yard effort before Ricky Young scored two well taken goals before half time to put the result beyond reasonable doubt.
Frustratingly for manager Paul Attfield, Royston lost both midfielder Martin Standen and defender Ashley Grinham to injuries at half time – not good news ahead of Saturday’s FA Vase clash with Barking – adding to an already extensive absentee list for the weekend.
- 1 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
The second half opened out a little more and became a more end-to-end affair. With a little more care both teams could have created clearer chances.
Press brought two good saves from young Crows ‘keeper Will Norriss whose handling throughout the game was again exceptional but he conceded his first goal in four games in the 85th minute from a close-range half volley.
Royston will not know their next round opposition until the draw is made in November but, for now, the planning for Saturday’s all-important match can begin.