Royston savour their win
Royston Town Vets 4 Vintage Dundee Vets 1 THE final scoreline although probably a little flattering to the Vets, was a win to savour after a defeat at the home of the Letchworth based visitors earlier in the season. The opening 15 minutes was not the pret
Royston Town Vets 4 Vintage Dundee Vets 1
THE final scoreline although probably a little flattering to the Vets, was a win to savour after a defeat at the home of the Letchworth based visitors earlier in the season.
The opening 15 minutes was not the prettiest of sights, with Town battling against a strong wind and the visitors much in control, playing by far the better football. Kevin Flack and Nick King were having their work cut out against an attack particularly strong in the air, causing problems from set pieces.
Against the run of play, Town took the lead with Peter Leete powering in a header from close range and shortly afterwards it was 2-0 following an unfortunate own goal.
Dundee then pulled one back with a header from yet another corner to make it 2-1 at half time.
The second half saw the Vets take more control with the impressive Leete always available to hold things up and fellow striker Paul Lewis running tirelessly.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
It was Lewis who made it three powerfully volleying home from 10 years. The same player could have put Town further head, instead blasting over the top with just the keeper to beat.
The visitors continued to look dangerous and some resolute defending from Flack and King saved the day on more than one occasion.
Jason Clark, who was enjoying a field day in midfield crashed a shot against the bar before deservedly making it four, putting the game beyond the reach of Dundee, with just a few minutes to go.
Royston Town Vets: M Chaffey, I King, I Stubbs, N King, K Flack, M Saggers, R Harris, P Lewis, P Leete, K Barthrop, J Clark, M Jackson, C McArthur, M Crowley, B Cannon
- This Sunday the Vets are at home to Cambridge Vets, kick off 10.30pm