Royston’s Luke Mossey claims second podium finish of British Superbike Championship season
- Credit: Archant
Luke Mossey scored a second podium finish of the 2016 MCE British Superbike Championship season at Thruxton on Sunday.
Royston rider Mossey claimed third place in race one at round six of the MCE British Superbike Championship on his Quattro Plant TECcare Kawasaki following his podium debut at Knockhill in June.
The 23-year-old also secured fourth place in race two to see him move up a place to ninth in the standings.
A fan of the exceptionally fast Hampshire track, Mossey put in solid performances from the start of the race weekend, finishing in the top three of all earlier practice sessions.
Making a tyre switch to the harder compound SC1 Pirelli for race one due to the summer heat, Mossey was able to gain on his opponents, who struggled with grip on softer tyres.
You may also want to watch:
“The heat was pretty intense and certainly affected tyre wear,” said Mossey, who finished 7.068 seconds behind winner Shane Byrne.
“We knew it would be a gamble come race day but I felt more comfortable on the harder SC1 tyre.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
“I could see people in front of me having issues and I knew it was my opportunity to push harder.
“I’m so happy with the results and it’s our best weekend of the year so far. I can’t thank my team and sponsors enough for their continued support and I’m glad I’ve been able to repay them with some good results. I can’t wait for the next race.”
The next round (round seven) of the MCE British Superbike Championship takes place at Brands Hatch on August 5-7.
From there the championship heads to Cadwell Park (August 27-29), Oulton Park (September 9-11), Donington Park (September 16-18), Circuit Assen (September 30-October 2) and Brands Hatch (October 14-16).