Royston’s indiscipline costs them at Northwood
- Credit: Archant
Royston Town pressed the self-destruct button on Saturday as they fell to a 3-1 away defeat at Northwood.
The Crows were 1-0 up after 17 minutes, but the first-half dismissal of striker Robbie Mason hit their chances, and in the end the home side scored three second-half goals to seal the three points.
The first 20-minute period was mainly the visitors striving to get the ball down on a decent surface and 17 minutes in a good diagonal pass from right-back Ross Collins found Reece Dobson whose quick feet did the rest, skilfully bamboozling his marker and slotting the ball low past Berkeley Laurencin.
Mason showed his disagreement to a poor refereeing decision and earned himself an unnecessary yellow card for dissent.
Visibly boiling his red mist turned into a red card, and he received a second yellow following a continued off the ball skirmish with home team skipper Mark Burgess.
You may also want to watch:
This dismissal changed this game and left a previously dominant Crows’ line up out-numbered and unable to press on and increase their early slender lead.
On 68 minutes George Nicholas collected a right-wing pass and fired a low shot through defenders and attackers legs to level the match.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Castle immediately sent on Adie Cambridge for Robbie Nightingale but six minutes later the Crows were behind as Nick Thompson raced diagonally from his goal to take out the nippy Karl Oliyide and Michael Murray banged in the penalty.
Craig Hammond was sent on up top at the expense of midfielder Spyros Mentis and the visitors went three at the back.
With only one team in this game Thompson redeemed himself slightly when he made a fantastic diving save to push an effort round the post. But he had no answer on 83 minutes as a cheaply conceded free-kick 35 yards out was thundered into the top corner by Dave Lawrence to put the visiting supporters out of their misery.
One up and while not necessarily cruising, Royston were dominant in this game and it can only be said that poor discipline cost them.
Royston: Thompson, Collins, Dhillon, Wharton, Bradshaw, Bridges, Mentis (Hammond), Ingrey, Nightingale (Cambridge), Mason, Dobson. Subs not used: Lockett, Parr, Edwards.