Royston's Georgina Stoop on verge of stunning Wimbledon upset
ROYSTON tennis star Georgina Stoop is on the verge of a stunning upset in the first round at Wimbledon, tying overnight one set apiece with world number seven Vera Zvonareva. The British number five and world number 187 lost the first set against her Russ
ROYSTON tennis star Georgina Stoop is on the verge of a stunning upset in the first round at Wimbledon, tying overnight one set apiece with world number seven Vera Zvonareva.
The British number five and world number 187 lost the first set against her Russian opponent on a tie break 7-0 before taking the second set 6-4 on court number four before the game was stopped late in the evening.
The match resumes today on court 18 after the men's single tie between Chile's Fernando Gonzalez and Russia's Teimuraz Gabashvilli with Stoop on the verge of one of the biggest upset in recent memory if she can find it within herself to win the third and final set.
Stoop's ladies doubles partner, 15-year-old Laura Robson, lost her first round match 3-6 6-4 6-2 against Daniela Hantuchova.
You may also want to watch:
Stoop and Robson are set to start together in the ladies doubles event later this week.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside