Royston Rockets round-up
ROYSTON Rockets BMX Club hosted the first round of the Regional Winter Series on Sunday at their track in Burns Road.
Almost 100 competitors from across the region made their way to the event, including 18 riders from the host club. The weather stayed dry and the threatening skies cleared as racing started at lunchtime. The presentation of the Regional Summer Series awards took place before the racing with Royston’s Mayor, Councillor Rob Inwood, assisted by Trevor Vipers of VB Trophies, presenting awards to the riders.
The Winter Series events use different classes and race age calculation dates to the normal summer regional and national series, so the riders get a chance to compete against different riders for the six rounds of the series which ends in March next year.
The action started in the girls’ U8 class with Harriet Alexander taking second place and in the male U7 class the win went to Elliott Bowyer with Oliver Dwyer taking seventh in his first big event.
Kele Newall finished third in the U9 class A Final with Harry Evans finishing second in the B Class final ahead of Josh Izzard. Ella Tomsett came second in the U10 class while in the male U11 class Miles Fisher took the win. James King came second in the A final while Bradley Marvel finished eighth.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Blanche finished second in the U13 class A final while Jadd Jalahi won the B final. James Handleigh – unbeaten all day – won the 14-16 A final while Sam Manser won the B final.
In the Masters class (30+) Lee Alexander came out on top while Gary Newall started to show his old form with a fifth place finish.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
The Regional Winter Series moves to Ipswich for Round Two on Sunday, November 13, and as usual rider registration closes at 11.30am with racing due to start at 12.30pm. Visit www.roystonrockets.co.uk and www.bmxeast.com for more information on BMX racing.