Royston Rockets on form at the BMX East Region Winter Series
- Credit: Archant
Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club travelled east to Braintree BMX track for the first round of the BMX East Region Winter Series on Sunday with almost 150 riders representing the region’s clubs.
Rockets had a good selection of riders, from those in their first regional events to national grade riders taking the chance to keep race fit.
Royston had three riders in the male eight-year class with Joshua Webb taking fourth ahead of Patrick Harper in fifth and Rocco Rushforth in seventh.
In the female eight and under category, Evie Somerville took third place.
In the nine-year male class Dominic Hines crossed the line third with William Alexander finishing in ninth.
In the male 11-year category, Freddie Cadman Carpenter took 10th place.
The male 12-year class saw Josh Abbott win all his races with Oliver Dwyer finishing in seventh.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
In the female 13-15 year class Harriet Alexander battled against stiff opposition to take second place.
To give the riders more competition, the 17 and over cruiser classes are combined for the Winter Series.
Three Rockets had a tough day against a wide age range of male and female competitors, although Alison Parrish was the fourth female rider across the line.
Shelton Pell missed a semi-final place by one point from the qualifying rounds while the more experienced John Somerville made it to the semi-final before his day’s racing finished.
The East Anglia Regional Winter Series continues with Round Two at Norwich on November 20.
Before then the Royston Club’s winter series starts on November 5.
The Rockets have a series of practice and coaching sessions planned through the winter, weather permitting.
To see more about the club’s winter racing and coaching sessions and BMX racing in the region go to www.roystonrockets.co.uk and the BMX east regional site at www.bmxeast.com