Royston Rockets BMX Club hand out awards at annual presentation evening
- Credit: Archant
Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club honoured this year’s riders at the club’s annual presentation evening.
The club coaches who work with the riders throughout the year select two Students of the Year which is based on the rider’s efforts during coaching sessions and using the skills they have learnt in the formal coaching and applying it to their racing and the 2015 recipients were Oliver Dwyer and Luca Taylor.
Two special awards are also presented annually in remembrance of two BMX racers – the first being the Shane Keeleer award for the rider who has demonstrated a good attitude and this award went to Hugo McFarlane Cushing and the second is the Rob Indri award for the most improved rider which was presented to Louis Foreman and the final award to a rider was the
Newcomer of Year which went to Evie Somerville.
The final award can be awarded to any member whether or not they are riders and this year the Club Member of the Year award went to Alyx Foreman who, as well as being a rider, has involved herself in the running of club events and joined the British Cycling “Young Volunteer” programme and is working towards her Bronze award.
You may also want to watch:
The Rockets have a series of practice and coaching sessions planned through the winter, weather allowing, as well as the riders being involved in club ad regional winter series racing. To see more about BMX racing in the region go to www.roystonrockets.co.uk and the BMX East Regional site at www.bmxeast.com
Many members who had competed at least half of Royston’s summer race series on Tuesday evenings were handed special awards.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
A full list of members who received special awards can be found here: Seven and under category - Dominic Hines, Finley Clarke, Hugo McFarlane-Cushing, Harvey Unsworth, Evie Somerville, William Alexander. Eight-10-year-olds - Oliver Dwyer, Luca Taylor, Owen Putland, Alastair Huckle, Dominic, Marco D’Alessandro, Max Roberts, Max Garcia. 11-13-year-olds - Joshua Abbott, Louis Foreman, Billy Unsworth, Christopher Davies, Harry Evans, Joshua Izzard, Joshua Clark, Harriet Alexander. 14-16-year-olds - Daniel Blanche, James King, Elio D’Alessando, Bradley Marvell. 17+ category - Darren Foreman. Cruiser riders - Alyx Foreman, Jason Heard, Steve Wakefield.