Royston RFC U13s win at Barnet
Barnet Elizabethians U13s 12 Royston RFC U13s 25
ROYSTON RFC U13s travelled down to A1 on Sunday to take on Barnet Elizabethians in only their second league match of the year but came out on top 25-12.
Royston were short on numbers due to some boys having other commitments and injuries. Things got even worse when, during the team run on Saturday, promising young second-rower Dan Jones suffered a severely sprained wrist while the hard-hitting John Busher was ruled out with a swollen finger.
The game was played in three 20 minute thirds, due to the large number of boys Barnet had.
Royston were on the back foot after Tyler Boyne secured a deep kick from the kick off. Barnet defended well keeping Royston pinned down in there own half for the first 10 minutes of the game.
You may also want to watch:
Royston defended well until a suspect call from the referee who awarded the home team the first try of the game to take a five-point lead.
Royston regrouped and started to muscle up against their opposition which paid dividends when inside-centre Rhys Redrup scored Royston’s opening try after a strong run.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Barnet employed some strong arm and at times unsportsmanlike like tactics and at the time led 12-5 after scoring two tries and a conversion.
The whistle was blown for the end of the first period and Royston were able to regroup after the coach’s pep talk.
The visitors came out all guns blazing in the second, playing some outstanding rugby both in the forwards and in the backs. Royston’s forwards muscled up and set a great platform for their slick back line.
Barnet could not withhold Royston’s pressure and went into the second break conceding another two tries and down 15-12.
The game plan at the second break was to keep the pressure on the home team and to shut them out of the game completely. Royston were clinical in the third and final 20 minutes and were able to hold out the opposition through brutal defense right across the pitch.
They went on to shut the game out by scoring another two great tries.
Coach, Dave Ayliffe, said afterwards: “This was a victory for Royston’s team spirit as every team member gave their all. They tackled their hearts out and played for each other and I could not be prouder.”
Royston U13s: Cameron Bonfield, Jacob Boyce (Captain), James Reeder, Tyler Boyne, James Shannon, James Meecham, Will Gapper, Rhys Dear, James Kirby, Ben Ireland, Joseph Gilhooly, Rhys Redrup, Max Ayliffe, Charlie Capewell, Eddy Twyman.
Subs: Oscar Ayliffe, Dominic Dunklin.