Royston RFC’s U9s crowned county champions
- Credit: Archant
Royston Rugby Club’s U9s have been crowned the county’s top team after winning the 2015 Cambridgeshire competition.
A clean sweep in the group stages, with wins over reigning champions Wendens Ambo, Huntingdon and Shelford, secured a semi-final clash with Saffron Walden A.
Max Ramsden’s late try decided a tense last four clash as Royston prevailed four tries to three.
That left a repeat encounter with Shelford in the final, with both sides flagging after an intense day of rugby.
Shelford went ahead with an early try but Charlie Butler’s brace put Royston back in command.
You may also want to watch:
Ramsden grabbed another vital try before Butler completed his hat-trick. With a Shelford onslaught inevitable, they fought to within one try but Royston hung on to clinch the victory and with it, tournament glory.
Royston Ravens U10s almost replicated their younger counterpart’s success, but after coming through a tense semi-final via extra-time, they were beaten finalists in the Cambridgeshire Cup.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club