Royston RFC’s U9s crowned county champions
- Credit: Archant
Royston Rugby Club’s U9s have been crowned the county’s top team after winning the 2015 Cambridgeshire competition.
A clean sweep in the group stages, with wins over reigning champions Wendens Ambo, Huntingdon and Shelford, secured a semi-final clash with Saffron Walden A.
Max Ramsden’s late try decided a tense last four clash as Royston prevailed four tries to three.
That left a repeat encounter with Shelford in the final, with both sides flagging after an intense day of rugby.
Shelford went ahead with an early try but Charlie Butler’s brace put Royston back in command.
You may also want to watch:
Ramsden grabbed another vital try before Butler completed his hat-trick. With a Shelford onslaught inevitable, they fought to within one try but Royston hung on to clinch the victory and with it, tournament glory.
Royston Ravens U10s almost replicated their younger counterpart’s success, but after coming through a tense semi-final via extra-time, they were beaten finalists in the Cambridgeshire Cup.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 9 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 10 Citizens Advice North Herts reopens Royston office