Royston RFC’s U16s book Herts Shield final date
Royston RFC U16s booked their place in the Herts Shield final with a hard fought 21-12 victory on the Heath over Hitchin B.
Holders Royston started shakily and conceded two tries within the first 10 minutes.
Skipper Jacob Boyce and flankers James Meacham and John Busher led the fightback with solid rucking and driving.
Rhys Redrup picked up a loose ball and scored Royston’s first try after an elusive run. Ben Ireland converted.
After good ball was presented to the centres by scrum half Dominic Dunklin, Redrup again outpaced the Hitchin defence to touch down. Ireland again converted to give Royston a 14-12 lead at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Replacements were brought on and it was one of these, Eddie Twyman, who scored the only try of the second half, touching down after a strong run following good work by the front row of Cameron Bonfield, Theo Pow and Callum Waring. Ben Ireland kicked his third conversion.
Royston’s fitness and team spirit saw them defend their lead successfully for the rest of the match.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day