Royston RFC’s U16s book Herts Shield final date
Royston RFC U16s booked their place in the Herts Shield final with a hard fought 21-12 victory on the Heath over Hitchin B.
Holders Royston started shakily and conceded two tries within the first 10 minutes.
Skipper Jacob Boyce and flankers James Meacham and John Busher led the fightback with solid rucking and driving.
Rhys Redrup picked up a loose ball and scored Royston’s first try after an elusive run. Ben Ireland converted.
After good ball was presented to the centres by scrum half Dominic Dunklin, Redrup again outpaced the Hitchin defence to touch down. Ireland again converted to give Royston a 14-12 lead at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Replacements were brought on and it was one of these, Eddie Twyman, who scored the only try of the second half, touching down after a strong run following good work by the front row of Cameron Bonfield, Theo Pow and Callum Waring. Ben Ireland kicked his third conversion.
Royston’s fitness and team spirit saw them defend their lead successfully for the rest of the match.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims